Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi gang
its me, i been around for a while,i see that there alot of questions on a bunch of differant topics so i figure i would try to help all of you.
there is a ton of information on some of the questions that i have been reading, so to make thing easy just click on this link, the rest is history, hope this little item helps all of you get some answers to your questionshappy holidays to all
charlie http://www.parkviewpub.com/cgi-bin/search....intro&default=1
[This message has been edited by charlie (edited 12-13-1999).]

G

·
Charlie, thanks so much for your informative reply to my gall bladder vs. IBS question. It really helps talking to someone who has been there and done that. I am really tired of feeling nauseated most of the time. When you say pale stools, can you explain that? My stools have been different the last couple of days. They look like they have white lardy clumps. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi samswell since you ask i brought this up a while back, GET READY HERE GOES
HOPE ALL THIS HELPS YOU============================================The IBS chatroom is back! Click here to enter.Participate in our new Parkview Polls!Add your health links. UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone! The Parkview Publishing Bulletin Board Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Discussion WELL HERE GOES, WHAT CONTROLS THE COLOR OF STOOLS? profile | register | preferences | faq | search next newest topic | next oldest topic Author Topic: WELL HERE GOES, WHAT CONTROLS THE COLOR OF STOOLS? charlieVeteran posted 12-13-98 09:15 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------this may not be the best question to ask, but ever since this ibs got a hole on me, (c type ibs) i have notice a change in stool color, ie goldish/ rust in color,how many may have notice any change, and if you have D OR C TYPE?before ibs came along everything was what i call well a normal brown,the reason why i ask this question is if we have color stool color changes, maybe what ever regulates it needs to be look intodont you think? or am i the only one here that has this problem!i realize this is not a easy subject, but what the hey, we are all in it together right!!!!!!thankscharlie[This message has been edited by charlie (edited 12-13-98).] IP: AMBERVeteran posted 12-13-98 02:27 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------charlie,The only thing i know about that is that a lack of fiber produces black stool. IP: JohnGunregistered posted 12-13-98 02:48 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Actually, a black stool is usually associated with blood in the stool, and if found, should *always* be reported to your doctor, as it could be a sign of something very serious. IP: DawnVeteran posted 12-13-98 03:18 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Well your right its seems alittle personal but guess what its not and I think your very cool to bring it up I get really weird colors and I have no idea the Dr. of course look at you like your crazy but we are not I will read up in my books at my medical libary and see what I can find out for the 2 of us which im sure there are more people out there they just dont ask.Take Care of your self.Dawn IP: charlieVeteran posted 12-13-98 04:26 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------thanks dawn let us know what you find!there has got to be a answer fo iti had no color change until ibs came along, something is at the root of it,now if we can address what it is and try to correct it maybe someone will feel bettercharlie IP: Susan KVeteran posted 12-13-98 05:03 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Charlie you just made my day! i've been having the far out poop too. For about a month it was rusty orange (no diet change), and now it's turned this freaky dark green. I rarely have the "D"-just "C". I have NO idea what does it, but I do know I've been hurting alot more. Are you eating something different or on a new med? I do know that the gallbladder can effect the color of BM's. Also in reply to the post re black BM's, high iron/iron supplements can cause BM's to be black too. If you find something out please let me know! IP: charlieVeteran posted 12-13-98 05:44 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------HI SUSAN K my diet is the same as it always been, i only changed once to see if it made any diffrence, it did not change anything at all, as far as meds,I TAKE NO PERSCRIBE MEDS,the reason is that the side effects for of them are nasty, most of them are constipating, on top of it,oh one more thing the fda does not recoginize the use of anti spazmotic/anticholinergic drugs for ibs,i was perscribed bentyl and symaxthe side effects were to much to handle for me, so when i cramp up as is the case as i write this i use a little tylanol and a little canibus, check out www.medscape.com for your drug search on what ever you are taking it is a good site,i have always stated that you should look your drug up first, to see what it is all about, some of these drugs will open your eyes, you will get a detail report at that site, how many times have you been to the docs, just to get a free hand out of some free sample to try out!!!the average doctors visit last fifteen minuites, the waiting time is forty minuites, go figure!!well i could go on all day with this one BUT time to cut it,happy holidays charlie IP: musemVeteran posted 12-14-98 01:07 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I've thought about cannabis quite a lot over the past year, but haven't gotten the courage to try it. Actually, the big problem is that I have a 14 year old daughter who is an honor student, and I don't want to get into the "do what I say not what I do" thing with an illegal drug. My prescription med almost works, so I'll live with that until, somehow, the drug nazis are beaten.As to stool color. For me, gray is the second worst. I'm usually pretty constipated, and it just tears my guts up on the way through. I usually don't get this unless I've screwed up and had sourdough bread, or something like that.The worst is when all I have are very hard dark brown lumps. VEry hard to pass. I'm not sure what causes it yet, but I'm suspicious of caffeine/cola. (I know, I still haven't kicked it.)I'm normally yellow, and that's what I hope for every day, as it's easy to pass.bob IP: KVeteran posted 12-14-98 11:02 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I looked in one of my nursing books, and found this info regarding the color of stool:clay or white colored- absence of bile pigment (possibly due to bile obstruction), or diagnostic study using barium.black or tarry- drug (eg, iron), bleeding from upper GI tract, diet high in red meat and dark green vegetablesred- bleeding from lower GI tract, some foods (eg, beets)pale- malabsorption of fats, diet high in milk and milk products and low in meatorange or green- intestinal infectionThe normal brown color of stool is caused by bile being excreted. Also, charlie brings up a good point about the cannibis. I've done some research on it, and found that it can help a number of disorders, and it is relatively safe. It really makes you think about legalizing it for medical uses. I have also tried it before, and it does work better than just about everything else I've tried. Something to think about.... K IP: JudyVeteran posted 12-16-98 07:45 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Charlie,I noted with interest your question on stool color/change and also Dr;J's reply to it. I can understand your concern with it even if he can't...this is not normal! You know what normal is for you! I like you have had this happen and stay that way for four months and it worries me. Some days it will go back to it's formaer darker brown then go back to the yellow again. I feel it has to do with two things..the transit time (which I have been told in me is extremely fast...and something to do with the bile. I don't understand why this is not improtant to doctors and why they think we are obsessed with this color change. If you notice they don't really tell you why you shouldn't be concerned. I mean if you're not making the right amount of bile or it's not getting to the right place at athe right time that should mean something. This just happens to be uppermost on MY mind today also so don't feel alone.Judy IP: charlieVeteran posted 12-16-98 08:41 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------HI JUDYYOU ARE RIGHT!the color change means something!!but what? something had to of change!! to cause this, it also looks like both d and c type have the same problem!! now if bile controls it than the doctors should look into it !! dont doctors ask thier patients that have ibs what is your color of your stool!! my gastro did not!!they only ask have you notice any blood!! so the next time i go to her in about 3 weeks i am going to ask (her) and see what she says!!i go to emory university medical here in atlanta maybe she can give me the reason why ibs people have this!! believed me judy i will get the answer!! and let yo know ok,thanks charlie[This message has been edited by charlie (edited 12-16-98).] IP: runnerNewbie posted 12-21-98 01:56 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Regarding stool color, could the use of Metamucil or Citrucel be the source of the golden color. Both of these substances are colored orange. I gather a lot of us IBS folk take these fiber supplements.------------------IP: charlieVeteran posted 12-21-98 09:41 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------hi runneraccording to doc j stool color is nothing to worry about, its all about what you eat!! but then again why did some people respond to this post that have the same problem? my diet has been the same for a while now, i did change it a few months ago, but the outcome was the same!!go figure he is the doc he should knowhappy holidays ------------------charlie IP: LorettasunVeteran posted 12-22-98 08:21 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I can't really add to what everyone else said, but mine changes color also. When I take pepto-bismal, it makes my stool black and that's pretty scary. My husband took the chewable pepto when we were dating and we went out dancing and I saw his tongue and it was black, I thought he was going to die of embarrassement but I knew the reason and I couldn't stop laughing. Take care everyone, even though we are different, we are so similar is scary, Loretta IP: BobJVeteran posted 12-28-98 06:24 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------charlie:Just an observation...I really don't mean to be flip or wisecrack about this, but honestly - if my poop was blue, green, and mauve striped I wouldn't care as long as this damned IBS went away.Now, admittedly, I haven't observed that my stool coloration is strange (is that an oxymoron?), and I would probably be curious and maybe even alarmed if it was, but unless it had something to do with symptom presentation or a life-threatening illness - well, I really can't see where the concern would be.So, you've got designer stools or are a candidate for Ripley's or Guiness or Funny Home Videos. What's the big deal if it doesn't connect to anything????Again, just an observation. Please don't take the tone as anything other than friendly...BJ IP: RoseVeteran posted 12-28-98 08:43 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Since I am a flare type person, and have not discovered the trigger, and that the flares will last different lengths of time, I have alsonoticed a change in color. I did atribute this to a lack of malabsorbtion, just moving the poo on through. But I also like you Charlie had wonder if what was not being absorbed or what was the cause of the problem was not also related to color. Now that my doc has said that new idea is that ibs may have a link to not digesting sugar and that as we age we produce less of the enzyme that helps to digest sugar, this has led me back to the thought that some chemical digestive process or absorption may be the cause of the flare and the color??? Last year when I was in a period that I did not seem to return to my normal was the first time I had the muscous problem, which again kind of feeds into the color etc. IP: kcscottypNewbie posted 01-08-99 09:44 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nice to know there's a place where people can go to discuss their #### (hee hee). Some people go to BB's to talk model railroading, or Led Zeppelin...we talk poop. Mine is occasionally green. It can vary from dull to really bright. The doctor didn't seem too worried. Of course-he's not the one with green dung! IP: yeastless in Seatleunregistered posted 11-21-1999 02:05 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is to Charlie,It sounds to me like possibly a yeast overgrowth, maybe not full blown candidiasis but you could be on your way. I had this foor over a year; yes I too had yellow stools. And like u all the doctors i went 2 said it was nothing. I persisted, searching 4 a cure, i knew something was wrong, and I found a web site on candidiasis. I forget the address but i can give u the formula. It worked 4 me. But just a warning; 1 - it takes a while 2 clear and 2- u may experience a "die off" reaction as the yeasts r eliminated.The first thing u must do is cut out ALL simple sugars and even limit your carbohydrate intake. starve the yeasts. secondly u should b taking daily doses of probiotics, specifically lactobacillus and bifido bacteria. Thirdly u should take a yeast cleanser or perscription med. 2 attack the yeasts. Ones with caprylic acid I found work best.Bile acted upon by the normal intestional flora causes yellow stools to ferment (for lack of a better word) to brown. If your colon has been compromised, as many peoples have (they may not even know it) u could b short on good bacteria and clogged with candida.Don't expect much support or agreement from the medical community either, unless it's something textbook, 4 the most part they're clueless. Modern medicine and a high sugar diet cause this problem in the first place. If u want more info write back and i'll try and respond. I am an expert on this. Not because i went 2 medical school 2 get rich, but because i lived it! And, yes, i m a bit bitter w? the medical community. Over the year I saw 8 doctors, spent thousands of dollars, and not one even mentioned candidiasis as a possibility. I had 2 find it on the internet. IP: Hannah ChaseVeteran posted 11-22-1999 09:51 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Charlie,I really dinnae know what causes the colour of most stools. I do however know that infection is one thing that can and will change t he colour of your stool.Several week before I had surgery my sools were normal in every way except that they were green. Not just a little here and a littler there, I mean really pure green. It looked like I had drunk green paint. The Doc at first dinnae know what would cause it and said it was most likely something I ate that had green food colouring in it. Like cake icing or cookies. That wasn't it. Later we found out that it was due to my very dieseased gall bladder. I had chronic infection and the infection was coming out in my bowels. Hope that helps.Hannah ChaseIP: kristilynnVeteran posted 11-22-1999 09:41 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------hi when i'm having a bad colitis flare-up with a lot of abdominal pain my stool turns light yellow with black specks in it. i've mentioned it to the doctors several times but they just act like i'm nuts! when i'm better it goes back to a normal color.IP: MiserableVeteran posted 11-22-1999 10:15 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Well every time I log on someone is talking about something that I am having trouble with also. My poop is orange! sometimes it is bright orange and yes I am the C IBS also. I take metamucil everyday and it sxeems to help a little. Now question for the person who put the post that describes your problem by the color of your poop mine is orange so that means I have and intestinal infection? What should I do about that or will it go away? ThanksIP: Simon WooVeteran posted 11-23-1999 02:01 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey, mine is orange too, but I have D. I don't take any medication, except a bit of Caltrate Plus. So bottomline, is there something to be worried about?<< SiMoN >>IP: JannaDNewbie posted 11-23-1999 08:39 AM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Black stool can also be the result of taking an anti-diarrheal medication like Pepto-Bismol.IP: moldieVeteran posted 11-23-1999 05:38 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hey yeastless in Seatle, I can relate. I must admit, I am a little bitter about this whole Candida thing too. Most of the medical community is in denial about this because they are the ones that ordered the drugs that caused the problem in the first place. It's time they own up to it and start doing something about it! I just wrote my story on one of the fibro postings by LeenaB, so I won't go into it again here (everyone is bored with it here by now anyway). It's nice to have someone here to support what I have said in the past. Hope to see you around the boards or chat sometime. ------------------IP: CodyVeteran posted 11-23-1999 05:47 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I heard that the color of the stool is caused by the color of what we eat.Also doctor told me some foods use certain dye colors in them and that can cause stool coloring.IP: Alexander000001unregistered posted 11-23-1999 09:36 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Iron causes way-black stool.Vitamin A causes way-yellow urine(almost luminous - like radiator antifreeze, hehe).IP: All times are ET (US) next newest topic | next oldest topic Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic Hop to: Select a ForumList of Forums:Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) DiscussionFibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome DiscussionInflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) DiscussionDiscuss anything other than... Contact Us | Parkview Publishing Home Page � Parkview Publishing Powered by: Ultimate Bulletin Board, Version 5.40� Infopop Corporation (formerly Madrona Park, Inc.), 1998 - 1999.IBS & the Mind-Body/Brain-Gut Connection, by William B. Salt II, MD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts