Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if those of you on Dulcolax, or any other laxative for that matter, have trouble with palpitations?If I take a laxative for more than 2-3 days I develop palpitations, if I stop the laxative, they stop. For the most part, I can control them with electrolye drinks and/or Low Sodium V8 (VERY high in potassium) which does confirm it is an electrolyte issue. I am just curious why some people can take laxatives everyday and never have this problem and then some can't...just thinking outloud and wondering if anyone else has noticed this...

·
Registered
234 Posts
this is a side effect of laxative use and it appears on most boxes of laxatives. the fact that some people don't get it just means that their body handles the effect of the chemical stimulant differently than yours.Also, you stated in other posts that you do colonics. How often? This is a dehydrating procedure and might make you more vulnerable to the side effects of laxatives. just a thought.Dana

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dana,Not at all being argumentative but:Colonics are thoroughly hydrating. One of the first things you will notice the morning after a colonic is that your skin almost glows and you feel thoroughly hydrated. Even with the loads of water I drink, I never feel this way. I only do colonics now once or twice a month. The walls of your colon are almost like a sponge, which is why osmotic laxatives can work the way they do. When you have a colonic, you are literally soaking the colon and hydrating yourself thoroughly. This seems to be a black and white topic on so many boards. The people (including physicians) who negate holistic treatments can produce endless literature as to why it's 'bad'. And vice versa.What I know is this:I went to traditional doctors for 8 YEARS - and never saw relief until I found a naturopath. Naturopaths believe the body is a well oiled machine. If something is not working right, the try to fix the broken part naturally. Not just cover up the symptoms with more artificial, potential harmful, prescription drugs.With all that being said, I am a very open-minded person and anything that makes a person feel better is great. I still use laxatives obviously because I, like so many other people here, just can’t stand feeling bloated and full of S####%$...lolWhether it is traditional medicine or natural we have to educate ourselves, use common sense, and choose the right doctor. This is just my experience and just feels it only fair to share it. If I had known of holistic/natural health sooner, I might not have had to suffer for the first 8 years.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Andrea, I don't think you're being argumentative. I'm just not sure that the glow you describe after a colonic is from a well hydrated body or colon -- the colon will absorb only so much water, and the rest passes out through your bladder. I guess my point is that a well hydrated person who drinks enough water is as well hydrated as someone who gets the same water through their colon. Not to make light of the issue, but I feel like singing after a good poop, and I'm pretty sure I have a glow about me too.
I have no problem with alternative medicine, homeopathy, naturopaths, etc. Unfortunately people will continue to disagree about the safetly of procedures like colonics or enemas, as well as stimulant laxatives. It's hard to make a decision when the all professionals can't seem to agree. In many ways I still feel like a kid, waiting for someone who knows best to give me the rigth answer -- taking care of your health is a big responsibility. I just don't want to *possibly* add insult to injury where my IBS is concerned.Dana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.