Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Wiggin,Hope I didn't miss a post. How did you do with your ultrasound??? I just had one too the other day. Found polyps in my gallbladder and the doctor said nothing to worry about. I still feel kinda "yucky" but I guess I need to calm down my nerves. I also take Xanax or I'm a mess with dr appointments and testing. However, I didn't take it the morning of the U/S--my test was 7AM. Hope everything is OK--let us know!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Tania!My test is friday morning, but thanks for thinking of me!
It's not until 10:30am!! Did they tell you right away as they were doing the test about the polyps? I hate the waiting!!I will let you know how it goes! Sorry about the polyps, but if they're no biggie, then that's good, right? DO they go away? What causes them? Thanks again,Donna------------------It's a proven fact; Life causes death....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The technician won't tell you anything. I was a nervous reck all day. My doctor asked for STAT results because he knows about my anxiety level. I found out that night that I didn't have appendicitis but was advised to do an ultrasound the next morning. This picked up the polyps and my dr, called that evening to tell me about them and said they were nothing to worry about. I don't know much about polyps; asked Kmottus above in a post about testing. I can't get an appointment to talk to my gastro until March 22 because I still get aching across the waistline (which he said is probably the IBS spasms). Good Luck on Friday!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Polyps occur anywhere you have an epithelial lining. This lining is alot like your skin. New cells are constantly being made. Just like you can get little growths on your skin, you can get little growths on your epithelial lining (polyps).How much the polyps are a problem depends on where they are. Get one in the wrong place like it blocks a duct or a valve it will need to be removed. They often remove polyps in the colon if they are doing a colonoscopy because while most of them are harmless, occasionally one will become cancerous (I know this is true of the colon ones, but I dunno about ones in other places like nasal polyps or throat polyps) and so it's a while we are in here we will take it out. Why one person develops polyps and other people don't or why some people get them in certain places doesn't seem to be that well understood. There probably is some genetic componant to that and some people are just more prone. There is a genetic disorder that causes large number of colon polyps and the polyps in these people seem to be more likely to become cancerous so if you have that you need to be monitored closely. Having a few isn't such a big deal, but when you have a ton of them, there is a greater risk one of them will go bad, and all you need is one bad one to cause alot of trouble.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks, Tania and kmottus!24 hours and counting! I didn't think the tech would spill the beans, so I guess I'll have to wait and/or pester my doc for the results. I'll be on my cellphone as I leave the hospital tomorrow morning!
------------------It's a proven fact; Life causes death....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts