Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have D all of the time from my IBS so I never thought there would be a bad outcome when I came down with the stomach flu last December. I had D for 18 hours straight. Then about 2 weeks later I developed a yeast infection (my first) just in time for Xmas holidays. (My doctor thinks it was from the D.) It was awful but I thought I would just stick a cream in or pop a pill and get rid of it. I have tried 5 different creams/pills and 2 topical steroids/antifungals in just under 3 months. My doctor must think I'm nuts but I just don't feel like it's completely gone. It has gotten progressively better, but I still don't feel normal. I'd say I'm 95% cured at this point but it concerns me that if I don't get it completely gone it will come back. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do anymore. Similar stories anyone? Any advice on how to shake this thing?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Maybe you should get yourself cultured. It could be gone even if you feel like it's not. Sometimes when we are worried about something we can interpret normal sensations that we normally ignore as symptoms.It may help to give you piece of mind. Many woman have a very low level of yeast that live down there, but are kept under control from the bacteria that live there and the yeast only cause problems when something sends the system out of whack, like taking an antibiotic.You may want to take a probiotic as there is some evidence that women that eat yogurt with live cultures (which is what alot of probiotics are--the bacteria that make yogurt or other fermented milk products) get fewer yeast infections. K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
766 Posts
D splashing up around that area can give you a urinary tract infection, as some have posted about before. Make sure you clean really good after a messy episode, maybe with a moist wipe if needed. You're also supposed to wipe front to back, never back to front, for both orifices, although I admit to usually being a center-out wiper.Don't know if the following apply to you or not, but in case:I believe that men can harbor a yeast infection with few if any symptoms. If you are sexually active, your partner could be transferring it back to you.Spermicides can also really irritate some women and make them more susceptible to yeast infections.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
mel, good advice here, but if the probiotics and a low sugar diet does not help you, I would ask your doctor for an oral antifungal such as Diflucan. Certain drugs can cause yeast problems in individuals. This happened to me, but I had the vag infection first, then a bladder infection, and then my bowels really went hairwire with frequent stooling, bloating and cramping. The diet and oral Diflucan got my symptoms under control. Were you on any medications when your D started?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I know all about wiping front to back and eating yogurt and all of that. I am a pretty smart girl and have been doing a lot of research on this stuff. Like I said, I have D all of the time so I never thought my hygiene was a problem until I got the flu apparently! I have tried the Diflucan (triple dosage) and 4 creams in combination with external steroids. I just don't feel back to normal - still a bit itchy and discharge not the same. The swab came back negative, but my doc says it doesn't always grow a culture... Just thought perhaps some of you may have had the same experience, unable to get it completely gone. Then you start to feel like it's all in your head, but I know this is not how it was before.

G

·
Live Yogurt works for me, its nice and cool too and natural. I get these type of infections quite a bit and also URI's too. So I am always trying things to help. Canestan can be good, but sometimes the infection is passed between partners ( as atp said earlier ) so no sex for a while till it calms down and treat both even if the other party has no signs.Oh and try not to scratch, that will make it hot and the infection likes that kind of weather
------------------Pink

·
Registered
68 Posts
How about bacterial vaginosis. I had that once from Diarrhea. The fecal contents get into the vaginal area and cause an infection. The discharge sometimes smells like fish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What was the discharge like with bacterial vaginosis? Were you irritated down there?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Bacterial vaginosis definitely has an unpleasant odor, where yeast does not have an odor. So, it should be easy to distinguish between the two. Using yeast meds for BV will not help the problem.I've had yeast problems for quite a while and I do everything possible to prevent it, to no avail. I'd like to know the solution also.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Support the post that says vaginal itching & burning etc., can be bacterial. Notorious in women, think main culprit is e.coli, but expect could be others. Should show in urine test however. As for yeast infection All yoghurts and/or probiotics are not equal, some have culture strains that don't survive the transist through the gut. Lactobacillus GG is supposed to do so (Culturelle) and Lactibacillus shirota strain (Yakult). However suppose the operative phrase is "supposed to".

G

·
Last summer I had a yeast infection that lasted six weeks(really). After going through three prescriptions with the doctor for creams and a pills, I decided to look into natural remedies. This worked for me and I HAVE NOT HAD one infection since. I cut my sugar intake by half for a couple days(takes awhile for us addicts)and then cut it in half again so that I decrease my intake to 75% in a few short days. While doing that I took a chewable acidophilus with bifidus wafer in the morning when I got up and before I went to bed. I still do this. No problems since then. I take the ones put out by American Health. I would be cautious if you are pregnant. I also threw out all of my underwear and bought new ones(all cotton) and wash them in HOT water. I've heard mixed conclusions that yeast stays in the fabric unless washed in hot water. I don't take a chance. Good luck. Believe me. I know exactly what it is like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AngelaMaria - can you be more specific about what you cut out of your diet. It seems to me like everything has sugar in it...You know, I think you may be right about the underwear thing...I'm going to try the hot water.I have tried the acidophillus pills (Jamieson) that you swallow and I think the recommended dosage was too high because is was giving me D. I cut down to one every other day and I have been eating lots of yogurt.I think now it's just the external tissues that aren't healing, it's probably related to stress, or that I'm worried so much about it.Thanks so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts