Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to take fossomax for osteoporosis Now after 8 mths- I notice my stomache is so gassy- and crampy- I have tried to adjust my diet in every way- no help. I tend towards irritable bowel( have been diagnosed) but was doing ok before i started fossomax- actonel isn't so good either. I need the fossomax- but wondered if you have any ideas on how to cope w/ this. thanks

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
You need to be sure first you are taking it according to the directions. This medicine is taken once a week. Choose the day of the week that best fits your schedule. Maybe you can take it on a day you are home and can deal with the side effects a little better. SWALLOW WHOLE. Do not break, crush, suck, or chew the tablet before swallowing. TAKE THIS MEDICINE with 6-8 ounces of PLAIN WATER ONLY the first thing in the morning, at least 30 minutes before eating, drinking, or taking any other medicine. This medicine works even better if you take it 60 minutes before eating, drinking, or taking any other medicine. This medicine is effective only if taken on an empty stomach. DO NOT CHEW OR SUCK on this medicine. DO NOT LIE DOWN for at least 30 minutes after taking this medicine and until after your first food of the day. Calcium or iron supplements, vitamins, or antacids containing calcium, magnesium, or aluminum may interfere with the absorption of this medicine. Take these products or any other medicines at least 30 minutes after taking alendronate. STORE THIS MEDICINE at room temperature in a tightly-closed container, away from heat and light. IF YOU MISS A DOSE OF THIS MEDICINE, take it on the morning after you remember. DO NOT take 2 doses at once.DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE if you have had an allergic reaction to it or are allergic to any ingredient in the product. KEEP ALL DOCTOR AND LABORATORY APPOINTMENTS while you are taking this medicine. Laboratory and/or medical tests may be done to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. It is important to have enough calcium and vitamin D in your diet. Ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist if you have questions about your diet or about taking dietary supplements such as calcium or vitamin D. BEFORE YOU BEGIN TAKING ANY NEW MEDICINE, either prescription or over-the-counter, check with your doctor or pharmacist. This includes any medicines which contain aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen. FOR WOMEN: IF YOU PLAN ON BECOMING PREGNANT, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using this medicine during pregnancy. IT IS UNKNOWN IF THIS MEDICINE IS EXCRETED in breast milk. IF YOU ARE OR WILL BE BREAST-FEEDING while you are using this medicine, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.SIDE EFFECTS, that may go away during treatment, include stomach pain, muscle pain, headache, constipation, stomach gas, bloating, heartburn, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor. CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY if you experience black or bloody stools; new, worsening, or severe heartburn; difficulty swallowing; pain upon swallowing; or chest pain. Simethicone is a good remedy of gas so you may ask your doctor if it would be okay to take that a hour before you take the foxamax.I hope this helps.Linda

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lenape for you most thoughtful response- I do everything right- don't eat for an hour- no medicine, nothing. Now I cant take simethicone before I take fossomax cause it will interfere w/ absorption. So I am trying to adjust my diet- staying away from brocollai( which I know is healthy), carrots, fruits( only have 1 time a day) and sweets or desserts. I already don't eat dairy or wheat. Any other suggestions in the diet dept? Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts