Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a ton of gas but have it totally under contol with diet and probiotics. When I did have gas, there wasn't much of an odor. For the past two days I have been passing the most foul smelling gas. It is horrible and extremely embarrasing. The only thing I can think of that might have brought this on is that I ate sushi the day before it started. I sure hope this doesn't become something chronic. Anyone ever get this for a few days then it goes away? Any ideas? Thanks.

· Banned
8,797 Posts
"Bismuth also avidly binds sulfides in vitro. In contrast with the results of charcoal, the feces of patients ingesting two tablets of bismuth subsalicylate(Pepto Bismol) four times a day released virtually no hydrogen sulfide and greatly reduced volumes of methanethiol. Consequently, this treatment should provide effective therapy for fecal or flatus odor. However, one must keep in mind that long-term therapy with bismuth subsalicylate on very rare occasions has been associated with absorption of sufficient bismuth to induce bismuthism. Serum bismuth levels should be monitored with long-term use of bismuth subsalicylate"An understanding of excessive intestinal Gas by Suarez and levittBasically it absorbs the "sulphurous" gases. But don't over dose yourself on it. Do the max dose 8 tabs for a couple of days and it should help. Actually just taking a couple of tabs a day for a cpouple of days helps me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.