Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who suffer from this annoying problem (often accompanies IBS) I am very happy to report I've found some relief. I'm taking a very small dose of Amitryptiline(spelling??) 1/2 pill of small dosage (I think 5 or 10 milligrams) prescribed by my GI doctor. I am peeing much less often than before and don't feel on edge all the time b/c i don't have to pee!-imagine that!! Its great. I tried this before and it didn't seem to work. This is my 2nd try and its working very well. Go figure.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is a tricyclic antidepressant that is widely used not for depression so much but for various chronic pain and functional conditions.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is a tricyclic antidepressant that is widely used not for depression so much but for various chronic pain and functional conditions.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Everything has side effects, but the tricyclics tend to have a different profile than the SSRI's like prozac. They don't tend to cause the nausea that the SSRIs often cause at the begining. Dry mouth may be more likely and alot of the tricyclics can make you drowsy at first (they tend to cross-react more with other neurotransmitters that just serotonin and they dry mouth and the sleepiness is from anticholenergic and antihistaminic cross reactions. Histamine is what your brain uses to keep awake and why antihistamines can make you sleepy--and why tricyclics are often given at bed time).Amitryp. is also used for the pain of fibromyalgia and IBS so it could be helpful for multiple disorders.Amitryp for IBS and fibro tends to be in the 10-75mg per day range and that tends to lower the side effect risk that is seen when it is used for depression (typically over 100 mgs a day for that).K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Everything has side effects, but the tricyclics tend to have a different profile than the SSRI's like prozac. They don't tend to cause the nausea that the SSRIs often cause at the begining. Dry mouth may be more likely and alot of the tricyclics can make you drowsy at first (they tend to cross-react more with other neurotransmitters that just serotonin and they dry mouth and the sleepiness is from anticholenergic and antihistaminic cross reactions. Histamine is what your brain uses to keep awake and why antihistamines can make you sleepy--and why tricyclics are often given at bed time).Amitryp. is also used for the pain of fibromyalgia and IBS so it could be helpful for multiple disorders.Amitryp for IBS and fibro tends to be in the 10-75mg per day range and that tends to lower the side effect risk that is seen when it is used for depression (typically over 100 mgs a day for that).K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.