Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with weight loss, can't eat much, only small meals. Dietician suggested 2 cans of Ensure plus, it has more calories than regular Ensure. I tried but it is very hard to drink 2 a day. Went to the Ensure website, and found some recipes for cooking, I put it in my coffee this morning, and made a little cream of wheat, substituting Ensure for lactose-free milk. It wasn't bad at all, and had a rich flavour. I would like to know how to gain weight wiith regular food, I hate to see myself so thin, I am down to 90 lb, I am not a teenage, I am a grown woman and it freaks me out. I can't eat lots of things that I ate before, like butter or oil, nuts, chocolate, red meat, often eggs don't agree too. Any suggestions would be appreciated, would anti-depression meds help? thanks

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Slowly start to expand your diet. Simply put.. you have to ingest more calories than you are to put on weight. So eat... lean proteins, cooked vegggies and whole grain breads etc... See the Dietary Forum for more info.All the bestBQ

·
Registered
414 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. I lost loads of weight because I had diarrhea everyday. It didn't matter what I ate, I just couldn't put any weight on. I did find taking immodiums really helped as it meant I could eat lunch and dinner without worrying quite so much about it all coming out again. So I think it was both a combination of: * Not wanting to eat as much because I knew it all had to come out * And also that it wasn't in me long enough to do any good * also that I was terrified the whole time about not being able to get to the toilet in time as I was working outside.I had to work full time and trying to do that with permanent diarrhea was very difficult. So probably the nerves helped to shift the weight as well.So I would recommend trying immodium as they did help me. It didn't stop the cause but helped prevent the constant diarrhea. Hope this helps a bitClaire

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
A while ago, due to several reasons, I lost a large amount of weight and struggled to eat more than a yogurt with honey and banana a day. The way I managed to conquer that was to add a lot of tahini and peanut butter to my yogurt, and gradually work up to larger amounts from there, I noticed you said oil and nuts don't agree with you, which is a real shame, as peanut butter was basically the thing that ended up giving me enough calories for a while. There's also tahini as an alternative? I also had a lot of dark chocolate, but again I don't know if you are able to do that. As one person above suggested, another good thing would be either the ready made shakes or you could also make some of your own, with yogurt or soy/rice milk, and fruit, along with any spreads you can possibly eat, and perhaps a lot of honey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a prescription for Effexor and elavil(only 10 mg), but I didn't take anything yet, I am concerned about side effects. Also, I can't sleep, I think it's all related, the gut and anxiety, Would the anti-depressants help with insomnia? Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Elavil tends to make people drowsy and sometimes is used for insomnia issues, usually they want you to take it at bedtime. It is a pretty low dose and most of the scary side effects were what was reported with doses like 150 mg.However even at low doses the drowsy can happen as it blocks histamine and that shuts off the "stay awake" signal. That is why antihistamines make people drowsy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just wondering whether to take it for insomnia and if one gets easily addicted to it. I am having difficulties with my sleep, I could get maybe 3-4 in total sleeping time, and it causes lots of stress the next day, it's a vicious cycle. I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks

·
Registered
982 Posts
Tresor,Have you been properly checked to make sure you don't have IBD - Inflammatory Bowel Disease? Properly checked would be a full blood work up and a colonoscopy where they take tissue biopsies from various parts of your colon. Sever weight loss is not a typical symptom IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - and should be taken seriously and discussed with your doctor. I lost neary 25 pounds before I was Dx'd with IBD as well as IBS.Elizabeth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.