Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted a couple of topics concerning frequent urination troubles over the last few months. This problem has plagued me since last October and I am really tired of it!! I just went to see my OBGYN and she said that I had an "infection" and put me on Cleocin ovules for 3 days. That didn't work...so she put me on another type of antiobiotic gel which didn't work either. She said that I should see a urologist...but I've had an IVP test done and all my urinary samples come out negative. I am on ortho-tricycline -- so I guess it could be that. But this frequent urination thing started 10 months after I went on the pill!! I don't get it. I guess after all my chatting, my question is this: If this is definitely related to IBS...is this a "normal" reaction? I mean, does it sound like it's related to IBS -- I don't get that buring sensation very often...but I sometimes get the feeling like I have to pee, but can't. Does anyone else get this and what can be taken for it. I really don't want to go on Detrol or something like that because my stomach is so very sensitive. But I pee like all day long!! My bladder never seemingly empties out. Any info would be of great help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Stones,Do you suffer more from constipation or diarrhea?When I suffer from constipation my urination frequency increases alot.I find that I need to pass water but when I do only a small amount comes out and then within a couple of minutes I'm back in the bathroom again needing to pass water again.The only way round the problem I have is to make sure I eat plenty of dietary fiber to keep me regular which seems to elimnate the problem.Yes, frequent urination can be a symptom of IBS - but you may want to check back with your gastroenterologist and urologist and let them know how much it is happening.Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Stones,Do you suffer more from constipation or diarrhea?When I suffer from constipation my urination frequency increases alot.I find that I need to pass water but when I do only a small amount comes out and then within a couple of minutes I'm back in the bathroom again needing to pass water again.The only way round the problem I have is to make sure I eat plenty of dietary fiber to keep me regular which seems to elimnate the problem.Yes, frequent urination can be a symptom of IBS - but you may want to check back with your gastroenterologist and urologist and let them know how much it is happening.Clair

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Clair for your info. I suffer from constipation...but it really doesn't make much difference whether or not I'm regular or not. Even when I'm regular(which I usually am) it's always there. It seemingly doesn't go away and I'm experiencing the same thing as you are: the feeling that I have to pee every minute and sometimes I feel like I can't pee. Thanks again!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Clair for your info. I suffer from constipation...but it really doesn't make much difference whether or not I'm regular or not. Even when I'm regular(which I usually am) it's always there. It seemingly doesn't go away and I'm experiencing the same thing as you are: the feeling that I have to pee every minute and sometimes I feel like I can't pee. Thanks again!

G

·
Hi Stones,Wow, our stories could be the same. I too am on Ortho-tri-cyclene and urinate very frequently. Plus, I've undergone the whole IVP thing too. I even had my urethra stretched so it would allow urine to pass easier....OUCH! I am pretty much convinced that IBS and urinary problems are tied together. Last week, I had a bad attack of IBS and my bladder would not calm down. I was so miserable that I called my doctor and got seen that same day. However, my urine test came back negative. I was shocked becasue I was SURE I had another UTI. I think when your abdominal muscles start to spasm from IBS, it must affect your bladder. This is a big concern of mine too so I would really appreciate it if you would let me know what you find out from your new doctor. Thanks so much and good luck!

G

·
Hi Stones,Wow, our stories could be the same. I too am on Ortho-tri-cyclene and urinate very frequently. Plus, I've undergone the whole IVP thing too. I even had my urethra stretched so it would allow urine to pass easier....OUCH! I am pretty much convinced that IBS and urinary problems are tied together. Last week, I had a bad attack of IBS and my bladder would not calm down. I was so miserable that I called my doctor and got seen that same day. However, my urine test came back negative. I was shocked becasue I was SURE I had another UTI. I think when your abdominal muscles start to spasm from IBS, it must affect your bladder. This is a big concern of mine too so I would really appreciate it if you would let me know what you find out from your new doctor. Thanks so much and good luck!

G

·
Me too, since childhood bedwetting. I've also been through the whole urologist thing, with flow test, retention test, ultrasound, cystoscopy, etc; always negative. Being a slave to the urinal during the day is bad enough, but having to get up twice a night makes for long days sometimes.

G

·
Me too, since childhood bedwetting. I've also been through the whole urologist thing, with flow test, retention test, ultrasound, cystoscopy, etc; always negative. Being a slave to the urinal during the day is bad enough, but having to get up twice a night makes for long days sometimes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am type D and I have the frequency all the time. I have had every imaginable test and all negative. I was on Detrol and it did nothing. Have you been tested for IC?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am type D and I have the frequency all the time. I have had every imaginable test and all negative. I was on Detrol and it did nothing. Have you been tested for IC?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same probem. I am prone to UTI's and have been hospitizaed from some of them. I take cranberry pills for the UTI's and that seems to help. But I have to pee all the time. (my boyfriend always laughs at how much i have to go to the bathroom) I also am on ortho-tricyclen, but have always had frequent bathroom stops even when not on the pill. I suffer from C-D IBS but i dont know if that has something to do with it or my body loves to get rid of liquid! I don't think I have ever thought much of it beacuse I am so young (19). My best advice is not to drink too much before you go to sleep, thats what i do. Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same probem. I am prone to UTI's and have been hospitizaed from some of them. I take cranberry pills for the UTI's and that seems to help. But I have to pee all the time. (my boyfriend always laughs at how much i have to go to the bathroom) I also am on ortho-tricyclen, but have always had frequent bathroom stops even when not on the pill. I suffer from C-D IBS but i dont know if that has something to do with it or my body loves to get rid of liquid! I don't think I have ever thought much of it beacuse I am so young (19). My best advice is not to drink too much before you go to sleep, thats what i do. Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for all your beneficial info. Do those who've mentioned that they're on ortho--do you think we're peeing so much because of it? I don't know??? I was on it for about 10 months before I started having this problem. I had taken some asidophilus powder for my c type and right after that it seemed to triger my frequent urination thing. I had never had any problems before. I guess it could be a bacteria imbalance from the asidophilus powder...it could also be the ortho or IBS??? I have NO clue. Thanks again everyone for the info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for all your beneficial info. Do those who've mentioned that they're on ortho--do you think we're peeing so much because of it? I don't know??? I was on it for about 10 months before I started having this problem. I had taken some asidophilus powder for my c type and right after that it seemed to triger my frequent urination thing. I had never had any problems before. I guess it could be a bacteria imbalance from the asidophilus powder...it could also be the ortho or IBS??? I have NO clue. Thanks again everyone for the info.

G

·
I am IBS - D, and have frequent urination, no UTI so far, that coincides with my D attacks. I'm sure they're related. I am seeing my gastro again in three more weeks because the D is out of control. Hopefully, when we get the D more under control, the frequency problem will be , too. Good luck!------------------Bethae3Today is the Tomorrow you worried about - was it worth it?

G

·
I am IBS - D, and have frequent urination, no UTI so far, that coincides with my D attacks. I'm sure they're related. I am seeing my gastro again in three more weeks because the D is out of control. Hopefully, when we get the D more under control, the frequency problem will be , too. Good luck!------------------Bethae3Today is the Tomorrow you worried about - was it worth it?

·
Registered
661 Posts
There is a condition called "pelvic floor dysfunction." This causes the muscles to be tight squeezing organs like prostate, bladder, pelvis area, colon. Thus, pain comes from the tight muscles. I have this condition. I suffer with IC and IBS horribly!Constipation is a symptom and makes both conditions worse.

·
Registered
661 Posts
There is a condition called "pelvic floor dysfunction." This causes the muscles to be tight squeezing organs like prostate, bladder, pelvis area, colon. Thus, pain comes from the tight muscles. I have this condition. I suffer with IC and IBS horribly!Constipation is a symptom and makes both conditions worse.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I get this too!! My Mom recommended taking B Complex for it, but I am scared of vitamins because I am always worried they will set off my colon
She also recommended drinking cranberry juice, which I DO, but don't seem to get a whole lot of relief from it. My MAIN problem is sleeping. Well, actually the problem is GETTING to sleep. I find it very difficult to get comfortable enough to fall asleep when I feel like I need to use the restroom all the time!! And what is frustrating is getting up (out of a warm bed!!), using the bathroom, and crawling back into bed RIGHT AFTERWARDS, and STILL feeling like I have to go. And this happens OVER AND OVER again. It takes me HOURS to fall asleep. And that's on nights when I can actually FALL asleep. There are a lot of nights when I can't. I used to take Tylenol PM or something and it would just knock me out, but have gotten off of those now and can't take them anymore because (#1) they are quite addictive for me, and (#2) they turn me into a space cadet the entire next day. So it's VERY frustrating, and I feel like I'm running on no sleep most days. I don't get the burning, but just the pressure like I have to go. I can handle it during the day, because I'm busy and don't think about it, but nights are horrible. I've gotten to the point where I get downright DEPRESSED when bedtime rolls around, because I know it's all getting ready to happen again
I know this makes me sound wimpy, but I lay in bed and sob a lot of nights because I am sooooooo tired and still cannot sleep. So it's pretty bad
If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE let me know, as I am struggling with it too!! Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts