Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,I was wondering if I could get some advice from you frequent urinators out there. I can tell you with utmost certainty that it is based almost entirely on a neurological component:- It's not really nocturia because I may wake up only once during the night to use the washroom.- Throughout the day I can go more than 10 times.- I don't have incontinence, unlike the bowel side of things.Any advice on drugs available for a neurologically--including anxiety--driven frequent urination problems.Thanks,

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
DJM,I have tried the drugs in the past and nortriptyline did seem to help this problem. You do need to check the side effects though and it can also help with diarrhea. The best success I have had is by cutting out a lot of the caffine I was drinking mostly soda and switched to caffine free and that has made a big difference.Linda

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
hi DJM i have been given new tabs to take for this problem they are called vesicare, if they dont work for me then ill need to go into hospital and have bladder surgery..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Linda,Actually, I was researching much of tricyclics the other day--including Norpramin--because a Doctor suggested that many of my problems may be sleep related and perhaps a drug in that class would help. I'm currently doing the research and the issue of weight gain constantly arises which makes me tremendously nervous. Paxil made me gain 40 pounds in a period of weeks and I'll never return to that state again. However I'll continue trying to figure out which would be best for me.I've become very interested in Ditropan, Joolie have you ever tried it ?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
hi djm according to my doc ive had every available tablet to help this condition, i have 2 options i can put up with it or i can go for surgery, i opted for the surgery..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joolie,I'm so sorry to hear you're going in for surgery. Honestly, I was hoping by this time I would have never seen you again--ie., you'd be cured and vanish from this BB.I hope everything goes well ...

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
hi djm know what you mean, the bladder surgery is the least of my probs, lots of battles to fight but ill do it..

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joolie,My preliminary research has concluded that Ditropan is the best choice for me. Moreover, it says one of the side effects is constipation and reduced sweating. Being an IBS-D victim when it is least wanted and being a profuse sweater I'm extremely curious regarding the drug. Unfortunately I'm begining to conclude that I have some type of general anxiety disorder: profuse sweating, headaches, frequent urinations, IBS-D ... etc. And most of the drugs that I should experiment on--for example the Tricyclics--have weight gain as a common side-effect which I refuse to endure again.I admire your resolve, you have my utmost respect.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi DJM,I had a bowel problem which eventually got better when I discovered that staying away from complex carbohydrates eliminated my diarrhea, nausea and weight loss. But during this stressful period, I developed frequent urination.I am fine now, and it may well have been neurological, but these are the things I did to try and help my condition.1. Limited my exposure to passive smoke2. Removed air freshener from car3. Changed to chemical free toothpaste (Tea tree oil) 4. Limited/eliminated dairy intake (briefly).5. Eliminated spices6. Drank lots of water on first day and then limited it to a normal amount.7. Tried to hold urine for just a bit longer than comfortable.8. Ejaculate on a regular basis (once a week is fine) and urinate immediately afterwards.9. For a guy, pee into sink, rather than toilet, so that ***** is almost horizontal. Spend up to 2 minutes ensuring you have excreted as much as possible. Lift testicles delicately to drain as much of the remainder as possible. Don’t do it if urethra is sore.10. No citrus fruits, no alchohol10 Take barley water concoction for 1 day which - very soothing to the urethra.11 Homeopathic remedy to sooth urethra/bladder.12 Spring water instead of tap water13 Onions, I think, soothe bladder14 Pressing reflexology points15 Increased salt intake temporarily and this seemed to help. 16 Had a couple of relaxation massages.17 I’m not sure if I was drinking green tea, but I may have been.18 Tried not to sit too long, alternated between sitting, lying and walking18 Kept a diary of how often I went, how strong the flow was etc and what I consumed..19 A product called URAL helped me somewhat20 Cranberry helped me in the past but not this time.21 Bromelain – an anti-inflammatory taken for just 1 or 2 days helped.It is impossible to isolate which one of the above was the most helpful. Perhaps none! Each person is different, but (similar to my bowel problem which is also resolved) not a day would go by where I did not try to think what was aggravating and how I could I improve it.Although my condition was indeed improving, the defining moment came when I noticed a skin perforation (or tear) on the tip of my *****. Once I KNEW that the sensation (the urge to pee) was the skin tear rubbing on my clothing, my condition improved dramatically (I guess the neurological factors were at play here). I applied Betadine ointment to heal the tear. I will post again if I can think of some more things I tried, because all these are off the top of my head.My apologies if all of the above is totally irrelevant to you.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
thanks djm im not used to getting compliments
the pills dont seem to be working but i guess its early days, i see the consultant at the end of jan, i honestly think that ill have to get the surgery, i have been reading up about it and it does not sound too pleasant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts