1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks Eric, great article! It's especially interesting there was such a high percentage of positives. Nice to know I'm not alone. I wonder if they thought symptoms from fruit were normal like I used to.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Thanks Eric, great article! It's especially interesting there was such a high percentage of positives. Nice to know I'm not alone. I wonder if they thought symptoms from fruit were normal like I used to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting article on fructose. It brings up more questions. What are good alternatives to fructose for a diet not so bland? Is there a standard test for this fructose problem or does this only apply to a special study? Can enzymes solve the fructose problem for some people (analogy to lactose intolerence)? Are there fruits and vegetables without fructose?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting article on fructose. It brings up more questions. What are good alternatives to fructose for a diet not so bland? Is there a standard test for this fructose problem or does this only apply to a special study? Can enzymes solve the fructose problem for some people (analogy to lactose intolerence)? Are there fruits and vegetables without fructose?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I am commenting only on the information in the article, not on the actual study, which I have not seen yet.Doesn�t this sound a bit familiar? Where are the controls? Where is the double-blinding? The study appears rigged to give the result it sought after.
quote:In the study, 219 patients who complained of unexplained bloating and gas pain were picked to take a fructose breath test. They also filled out a questionnaire and were evaluated for IBS.
So did they have IBS?
quote:"I was pretty surprised by such a high positive finding," says Choi.
Why surprised? We have known for years that fructose is not completely absorbed. The dose is large and it�s all by itself- a big hypertonic load. It won�t hang out long in the jejunum. When lactose is tested for it, guess how much you get? 50 grams. But when lactulose is given, it�s only 10 grams. Why is that? We know that lactose is not completely absorbed either, but it is absorbed well enough that it does not cause symptoms for most people in ordinary dietary doses. On the other hand, lactulose is practically not absorbed at all, so one needs 1/5 dose to produce a similar effect.
quote:What are good alternatives to fructose for a diet not so bland?
Stay away from fruit juices or eat them along with food since food slows down motility giving more time for absorption. Drinks with high fructose corn syrup may not be that bad either since the glucose in them helps absorb fructose. Sorbitol often accompanies fruits so that could add to the undigested sugar load.
quote: Is there a standard test for this fructose problem or does this only apply to a special study?
It�s a fairly standard test, though not commonly done and it does have to be done correctly.
quote:Can enzymes solve the fructose problem for some people (analogy to lactose intolerence)?
No.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 10-25-2001).][This message has been edited by flux (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I am commenting only on the information in the article, not on the actual study, which I have not seen yet.Doesn�t this sound a bit familiar? Where are the controls? Where is the double-blinding? The study appears rigged to give the result it sought after.
quote:In the study, 219 patients who complained of unexplained bloating and gas pain were picked to take a fructose breath test. They also filled out a questionnaire and were evaluated for IBS.
So did they have IBS?
quote:"I was pretty surprised by such a high positive finding," says Choi.
Why surprised? We have known for years that fructose is not completely absorbed. The dose is large and it�s all by itself- a big hypertonic load. It won�t hang out long in the jejunum. When lactose is tested for it, guess how much you get? 50 grams. But when lactulose is given, it�s only 10 grams. Why is that? We know that lactose is not completely absorbed either, but it is absorbed well enough that it does not cause symptoms for most people in ordinary dietary doses. On the other hand, lactulose is practically not absorbed at all, so one needs 1/5 dose to produce a similar effect.
quote:What are good alternatives to fructose for a diet not so bland?
Stay away from fruit juices or eat them along with food since food slows down motility giving more time for absorption. Drinks with high fructose corn syrup may not be that bad either since the glucose in them helps absorb fructose. Sorbitol often accompanies fruits so that could add to the undigested sugar load.
quote: Is there a standard test for this fructose problem or does this only apply to a special study?
It�s a fairly standard test, though not commonly done and it does have to be done correctly.
quote:Can enzymes solve the fructose problem for some people (analogy to lactose intolerence)?
No.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 10-25-2001).][This message has been edited by flux (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks flux for the input, I viewed it as just another thing people might want to be tested for if they have a problem with fructose.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks flux for the input, I viewed it as just another thing people might want to be tested for if they have a problem with fructose.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what else has a lot of fructose in it besides fruit, fruit-based products and honey?I mainly was wondering if fructose is in regular cane sugar, molasses, barley malt, maple syrup or the corn-based sweeters that are not "high-fructose" (like Karo light corn syrup) and maltodextrin (glucose polymers).I find that most of the sweet fruits and honey make me very nauseated.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what else has a lot of fructose in it besides fruit, fruit-based products and honey?I mainly was wondering if fructose is in regular cane sugar, molasses, barley malt, maple syrup or the corn-based sweeters that are not "high-fructose" (like Karo light corn syrup) and maltodextrin (glucose polymers).I find that most of the sweet fruits and honey make me very nauseated.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've learned about fructose intolerance a bit at a time from this board. Going by my tummy's input, all fruits fresh and dried and carrots, winter squash, sweet potatos have enough fructose to cause me pain. Also onions are very bad.Table sugar is made of one molecule of fructose and one of glucose. I suppose Flux's theory of high fructose corn syrup may be plausible, but it causes me intense pain. It's also added to some surprising things, like mustard and ketchup. If you want to avoid fructose you have to read labels. (I do anyway since I'm allergic to soy)Ditto on other syrups. Karo is not pure corn syrup, it's a mix of different sugars with a couple of chemicals thrown in. Surprise!
I tried all the sweetners AD mentions and they all caused me pain, gas or both, so I avoid them. I don't know if maltodextrin has fructose, I hope not, because it's in some of the things I eat. Kmottus do you know?Since I began avoiding sugars I've eaten mainly spinach and tomatos for my veggies. I buy pre-bagged spinach salad (throwing the dressing away) and fresh or sun-dried tomatos. You can easily cook the sun-dried tomatos by cutting them in small pieces with scissors and boiling them with pasta. They sound expensive but aren't, they're so light 1/4 pound is enough for a month. It's also been suggested that sweet peppers might be ok, but I haven't tried them yet.I've been experimenting with stevia, it doesn't cause me immediate pain like fructose, but I suspect it might cause me spasms later. As soon as I figure it out I'll post it. Equal doesn't cause me pain but if I eat it a few days in a row I start feeling nauseous. I can't use sweet 'n' low because it has dextrose in it.
It's beginning to look like I should just avoid all sweet tasting things because if I eat it one day I have to have it the next and the next...I'm addicted to the taste. Might as well build some character.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I've learned about fructose intolerance a bit at a time from this board. Going by my tummy's input, all fruits fresh and dried and carrots, winter squash, sweet potatos have enough fructose to cause me pain. Also onions are very bad.Table sugar is made of one molecule of fructose and one of glucose. I suppose Flux's theory of high fructose corn syrup may be plausible, but it causes me intense pain. It's also added to some surprising things, like mustard and ketchup. If you want to avoid fructose you have to read labels. (I do anyway since I'm allergic to soy)Ditto on other syrups. Karo is not pure corn syrup, it's a mix of different sugars with a couple of chemicals thrown in. Surprise!
I tried all the sweetners AD mentions and they all caused me pain, gas or both, so I avoid them. I don't know if maltodextrin has fructose, I hope not, because it's in some of the things I eat. Kmottus do you know?Since I began avoiding sugars I've eaten mainly spinach and tomatos for my veggies. I buy pre-bagged spinach salad (throwing the dressing away) and fresh or sun-dried tomatos. You can easily cook the sun-dried tomatos by cutting them in small pieces with scissors and boiling them with pasta. They sound expensive but aren't, they're so light 1/4 pound is enough for a month. It's also been suggested that sweet peppers might be ok, but I haven't tried them yet.I've been experimenting with stevia, it doesn't cause me immediate pain like fructose, but I suspect it might cause me spasms later. As soon as I figure it out I'll post it. Equal doesn't cause me pain but if I eat it a few days in a row I start feeling nauseous. I can't use sweet 'n' low because it has dextrose in it.
It's beginning to look like I should just avoid all sweet tasting things because if I eat it one day I have to have it the next and the next...I'm addicted to the taste. Might as well build some character.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.