Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fructose malabsorption is associated with decreased plasma tryptophanMany people with IBS suffer from:1) Fructose malabsorption2) DepressionAccording to the abstract above, fructose malabsorption may cause reduced absorption of tryptophan, an amino acid that acts as a precursor for serotonin. Given the overlap between fructose malabsorbers and IBS'ers, this could at least partly explain why people with IBS exhibit signs of depression. Therefore, one could hypothesize that supplementing with 5-HTP would be of help for a significant fraction of IBS'ers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nanobug,L-tryptophan is available OTC in the US. I know this because I was looking for, and purchased, all the essential free-form amino acids so that I could formulate my own Elemental Diet. Have you tried taking L-tryptophan directly?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:Have you tried taking L-tryptophan directly?
But what if fructose malabsorption also causes tryptophan malabsorption? According to the article, "High intestinal fructose concentration seems to interfere with L-tryptophan metabolism". This seems to suggest that going directly to 5-HTP might be "better". What do you think?PS. Yes, I've tried taking tryptophan directly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.