Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - just wondered how everyone manages to eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day? My bowels go into overdrive if I try! Only things that seem to not have too bad an effect are blueberries, watercress and broccoli. Any one got some useful tips ? Thank you!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people do better with cooked (and with fruits sometimes canned) then fresh.Sometimes eating a salad at the end of a meal works better if you want some raw ones.A serving is pretty small (1/2 a cup) so you may be getting that now with what you eat as a lot of times people eat more than that at a sitting.K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you! That's a good idea about canned fruit - I have eaten these in the past (before the IBS) with no problems so I'll give it a go. Also, I"ll try just cooked veg for a while. I've been eating salads lately because it's been so hot.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
well im a big choccie fan, but i do eat my greens i like lettuce, tomatos,cybies,potato salad,and sweetcorn.i LOVE bananas, cranberries, pears, strawberries, i find citrus fruits give me the boak so i avoid them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i avoid canned fruit. most of the time, the syrup or juice it's packed in kills sets off my ibs. have you maybe thought of the fruit in jello? i eat a lot of that with no problems. i'm a vegetarian of sorts. actually wrote down what veggies work well together. but, i food diary kind of confused me a bit. it can be fine 1 day and the same thing can cause an episode the next.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
i dont eat tinned fruit, due to the garbage they put in it, yukky strong syrupy stuff that gives me the boak, i got some fruit yesterday i got these tangereeny thingies strange looking things ive ever seen, the are the size of an orange, but they are not oranges,the were soooooo sweet, because of the acidity in them i was dubious about having one but anyways i did, they were lovely,strange shape though they were shaped like a boob with a little nipple on the tip of it (im not being rude)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Cooking the fruit will have the same result as canned. The main thing with canned/cooked fruit is the sorbitol is destroyed by heat, so that is why some people tolerate them better. So a baked apple or poached pear would be better than raw for the sorbitol issue. Canned is a convienient way to get cooked fruit and at least around here you can get stuff in "lite" syrup which has less stuff added. Adding jello with raw fruit probably won't change any of the carbs that are the problem in fruit. I don't think that heats them up enough.Joolie, were they Tangeloes? I get them here sometimes they are a cross between a tangerine and something else.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Emmie.It's funny you should mention this becuase I mentioned it n passing to my Dr a little while back. I explained that I was having trouble with the whole 5-a-day thing and she said 'yeah... We don't recommend that for people with your condition... Just eat what you can confortably.'So since then I've not got too wound up about it, I just eat what I can and not what I can't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dear all- sorry been away but thank you for all your advice and help. Am experimenting with smaller portions and making sure I eat salads with bread or potatoes which seems to help. Still not sure about making it to 5 portions a say so thanks yellowstar!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Emmie, Hi i new to this board so I don't know you, but I did read on one of the topics on trigger foods lettuce hurts, since then I have been having my salads with spinich instead made a big difference. I was eating salads alot and could not figure out why I was so sick after, since I switched, it sure helped, I also found out corn was a big trigger food. My dr. said to eat more fruit and i told him it just put me to bed. I tried jucing my veg and fruits but that really made me sick. And I am so mad that every dr. or person I tell about my ibs says to get more fiber, that just makes me so sick. My table where I sit looks like a pharmacy, if I had a nickel for every thing i have bought or tried to help me that did'nt work I would be so rich.
I'm trying something new it's natural calm it's powdered magneisum and it does make me less tense, if i use too much i do get D. but it puts me to sleep fast, I like to take it at night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.