Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Honestly the only fruit that I can eat seems to be bananas. I seem to be okay eating cooked apple in say an apple pie but can't manage them any other way. I know that I am not eating enough fruit but i can't even drink fruit juice etc...It all makes the diarrhea worse.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you can do cooked fruits it is likely the sorbitol not the fructose or the fiber that is bothering you.I would avoid juices as that tends to get you more sorbitol per serving than whole fruit (as you might only eat one apple but could drink 3 apples worth of juice.See if some of the Intestinal friendly fruits like strawberries or white grapes in small amounts are OK, or try other fruits when cooked or canned. Canning heats them enough to get rid of the sorbitol.Here is the link again http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T042600.asp#T042601Bananas tend to be low in sorbitol.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks very much Kathleen for the information. I'll give it a try. I can eat strawberries but I have to be careful about how many I eat in one go. Whereas I definitely cannot eat an orange or tomatoes. Thanks for your help. I'll have a read of the link you've given me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts