Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to eat 6 meals a day.I can not eat just chicken.I am angry at how when I try other healthy foods, I feel irriated and bloated.I have tried having as my morning snack and afternoon snack crabmeat saled sandwiches, tuna saled sandwiches, turkey deli meat sandwhiches, ham deli meat sandwiches, I have tried wheat bread, white bread, and wraps, and no matter the difference, I keep getting bloated.Then, if I decide to skip the snacks, I get hungray and bloated from not eating for a long period time, and I get tired and stink at the gym from not enough food.I can not just make chicken breast and eat it 3 times or more a day, I need quick food which has protein.I would like to know why I am being bothered after eating canned crabmeat, tuna, deli meat turkey, and deli meat ham, if others of you have the same problem, and what I can dos o that my protein, calorie, and hunger is good but I am not bloated.You have no idea how irritating this is.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Hi volatile,all the foods you mensioned have one thing in common... they are all sandwiches. Have you tried cutting out the bread? i can't tolerate wheat and bread makes me bloated and gives me a lot of pains. Though for some reason, toasted bread is a lot easier to tolerate, maybe you could try toasted sandwiches. A lot of people on here can't eat bread.If you work out a lot, as it sounds like you do, then although it is boring, chicken is the best thing for you anyway. My dad used to body build and ate a lot of times a day. He lived on chicken and rice. I myself can only really tolerate chicken and mashed potatoes, i eat that nearly every night.Maybe you could have the sandwich fillings in a sald type style, just knock out the bread and see what happens.Hope this helps, i really do!Lisa

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the bread, because I do not get this way when I have a CHicken sandwich, and when I have tuna, crabmeat, delit turkey meat, and deli ham, with no bread, just as is, I get bloated. What do you think?

·
Banned
415 Posts
I find that i can have a sandwhich one day and be what i classify as ok, i'm always bloated and in pain so one sandwich doesn't make too much difference. If have another sandwich the next day, problems occure and if i'm silly enough to have one the next day aswell then i have big problems. It kind of seems like a residue thing for me. It builds up and goes all to hell. If you can eat only chicken sandwiches for a couple of days and have no problems, then eat another type for a couple of days and have problems then i guess it's not the bread, but i honestly think that it's the amount of bread causing the bloating. Try just eating the chicken ones for a while and see what happens, if you get bloated, stop bread. Also take note of what you ate with it and if you get blaoted, try having the exact same meal without that thing again and see if bloating still occurs. You are going to have to experiment and find what's best for you. It's different for everyone of us im afraid.Lisa

·
Banned
415 Posts
Sorry i forgot, dark meat is a trigger for a lot of people with IBS. I would stay away from the ham and crab anyway. Maybe that's what it is, chicken is a white meat, the others are dark meat and not easily tolerable for us.Lisa

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am telling you it is not the bread. I eat bread all the time, and sometimes bread decreases bloating.I notice when I have canned crabmeat, tuna, deli turkey meat, and deli ham without bread, I get bloated, so based on how I eat bread and have no problems, but when I eat canned crabmeat, tuna, deli turkey meat, and deli ham, I get bloated, I am think this might be the problem?What do you think, and how come safe foods like tuna would do sucha thing?

·
Banned
415 Posts
Apart from tuna etc being a darker meat, and ibsers should really stick to white meat, all i can say is that this is your own personal IBS. Tuna doesn't bother me, but wheat does. It's just different for us all. All you can do is experiment with foods and if they bloat you or cause pain then you don't eat them anymore... ever! Tuna may be classified a safe food but may not be safe for you. There are plenty of "safe foods" i myself and a lot of others on here can not eat. I'm sorry this IBS thing isn't as cut and dry as we'd all like. It's very personal. None of us have exactly the same reactions to the same thing. All you can do is experiment and only eat what you can tolerate.It is very frustrating and we all have given up so much we love to eat. Like i said, i live on chicken and mashed potatoes. Just the way it is.Lisa

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You might check the labels of the canned and processed meats to see if there is anything in them that they all have in common.Is the chicken canned or processed or regular chicken meat cooked fresh. I just wonder if salt or some additive could be your problem. You might try fresh turkey or fresh tuna you cook in the same way as the chicken to see if it bothers you. It could be all the salt added to some things or some other processed food additive.And to echo the point "Safe" doesn't mean 100% totally safe for every single IBSer on the planet cannot every cause a problem for anyone at any time. "Safe" means statistically more people can eat it than not eat it. Statistics mean NOTHING at the level of the individual. If you are the one in a millions something happens to then you are the one. It doesn't happen 1 millionth to everyone.K.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi, long before I was diagnosed I worked out that crab, ham and tuna were bad, also pineapple, kiwi, strawberry and banana. I recently introduced the fruit back in as we are having the 5 a day health promotion in the UK. Low and behold I was in hospital on morphine. Crab is definitely a no no for me and I would not eat that if I was paid. Also been advised to avoid lobster and prawns. Fish scientist friend tells me it's a protein in the shells. But as before, what upsets one person does'nt upset another.Hope you find out what triggers it soon. Oh also I can eat most dairy but not goats milk or goats milk cheese. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Volatile, I really think you would benefit from an elimination diet. If you go to your local hospital they have dieticians who can help you through it. You basically start off on a diet of chicken breast, rice and pureed' pear or apple and work things in once the symptoms have disappeared. It is a bit of a long haul but once you've done it you know for sure what to avoid for the rest of your life. I've recently found out I have an amine intolerance, so while I can handle a lot of foods that IBS'ers generally can't I can't handle a lot of things (like Tuna, deli meats, yeast, banana and avocado) that are supposed to be fine. Seriously, give it a go. What have you got to lose?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is very interesting idea.To be honest, I plan on having mostly chicken sandwiches, turkey sausage, and low fat red meat, with a few cheats meals per week.Here is what I have noticed:-Canned food, wheather it be chicken, tuna, or crab, bothers me.-Ground Turkey bothers me, but low fat red meat does not cause a problem-Cooked chicken does not bother me, I am wondering, why is it that canned crabmeat, tuna, and chicken are a problem, but regular chicken has no such occurance?Basically, I feel canned foods are a trigger, what is it about them which could this, does this mean I could be amine?Were I to go on an elimination diet, could the find a specific pattern of foods, like canned, and trace some element to figure out what is the real problem at stake? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Ummm I'm not sure on the canned thing. I do know that tuna contains large amounts of amines, especially tinned tuna, also with tinned meats yes, the amines are higher. Fresh meat virtually has no amines but if you store it in the fridge for a few days the amine levels build. Unripe fruit generally has high fructose content but low amine content, as it ripens the amine content gets higher. I have a couple of links, one is Australian but I have a copy of the book if you want to ask anything. It is about the elimination diet, just click on the food intolerance links to the left of the page: http://www.cs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/resou...odintol/sed.cfm. The other one has a list of foods containing amines: (you just need to read through and find the link, it's on the left under histamine intolerance) http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietiti...ntolerance.html and here's one on salicylate intolerance: http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydietitian/fi/sal.html. Just know that you should go through this with a dietician or doctor before you go not eating a whole heap of foods. If you follow all the links available on the site it will take you around and show you some of the effects of the particular food intolerances. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It could be sodium or one of the other preservatives that is in the canned meat. You'd have to read the labels to see what is in them. You also might look at oil packed vs water packed so check the fat content on the label for some of them. Take a look at the Ground turkey you buy. There are a couple of versions. If it is ground turkey breast only it can be very low in fat. Some of the Ground turkey has a lot of skin and fat in it and can be nearly as fatty as regular ground beef, so more fat in it than lean cuts of red meat.

G

·
Can't remember who posted about being more tolerant to toast than bread "nude" - Kath M - why do you reckon (or anyone else for that matter) that could be? I'm pretty much fine with toast but bread is a real no no (though I do succumb from time to time) - tell you the real killer are those soft "bridge" roll type of things. Wierd isn't it?Sue

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ground turkey - yuck. I've tried that. Actually, we eat a lot of chicken breasts and very little beef/pork. Many ways to cook it and I grill chicken with plenty left over since it can be ate as a side dish, thrown in a salad or covered with cheese/salsa on tortillas. I'm not sure how much meat/protein you need, but we only eat meat an average of one meal a day. The kids probably eat it twice a day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.