Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I go through times where I am awaken with pain/need to go to the restroom so early in the morning (anywhere from 4 am-6 am.) I know it's common to have problems with IBS in the morning, but does anyone find that they wake up like this in the mornings due to IBS? I'm just frustrated with my IBS in general lately. It doesn't matter what I eat, I'm having particularly bad problems and I have a trip coming up in a few days! :(I've tried:Bentyl CalciumProbioticsa GF diet for a couple of weeksI always limit my dairy intakeDon't eat fast foodRarely eat processed foodsCut down on my pop intakeI don't drink coffeeFiber supplementsI kept a food diary for a couple of months and found no real obvious triggers.I don't know what else to do. I can't even go back to the doctor that diagnosed me a little over a year ago, as I have no insurance. He wasn't even that helpful. He tested my blood (particularly to test for thyroid issues and he found nothing wrong, I don't believe he tested for celiac or anything) and other than blood testing, he diagnosed me based on my symptoms. (Which compared to a lot of IBS sufferers aren't as bad) He suggested fiber supplements and I had to MAKE him let me try a prescription, so that's when I was given the anti spasm which does not work. I just feel like my IBS has gotten worse.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know that feeling all too well, of waking up several times during the night, and always before dawn for a mad rush to the bathroom due to urgency. Based on my own experiences:If you do snack during the evening after dinner or near bedtime, try to stop. Try to finish eating dinner 5 hours prior to your bedtime, and limit fluid intake before bed too. I'd suggest that you cut out the carbonated beverages altogether, bad for the tummy with all that added gas. Even more cause to lose the pop is that its suspected to escalate calcium loss, 'washing' it out of the body. Calcium loss is a concern for anyone with longterm chronic D. And consider taking two Immodium tabs before bed.Here's an odd one; I found that sleeping on my back reduced the tummy rumblings/pain and ensuing urgency. It didn't eliminate the issue, but it did decrease it. By nature, I sleep on my side. I'd get the common massive tummy motions usually accompanied by some pain, and within minutes would have to go with major urgency. I found a difference when I stayed on my back, less rumbling, less pain, less need to go. I had to use body pillows like baby bumpers on either side of me to 'train' myself to stay on my back. Ya, its weird
, but give it a shot.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi lisaaanoel,I can relate to some of what you say, particually nagging pain. I do sometimes have the urgent rush as soon (shortly after) I wake... You mentioned you were not tested for celiac, have you tried the home test kit? I bought one in boots (in the uk), you simply prick your finger, blood into a solution which test for celiac, mine was negative. Not sure where you are etc but worth considering, cost about £20.All the best

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
Hi lisaaanoel,I can relate to some of what you say, particually nagging pain. I do sometimes have the urgent rush as soon (shortly after) I wake... You mentioned you were not tested for celiac, have you tried the home test kit? I bought one in boots (in the uk), you simply prick your finger, blood into a solution which test for celiac, mine was negative. Not sure where you are etc but worth considering, cost about £20.All the best
I live in the US. I'm not sure about getting at home tests here.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As far as I know, the home kits for celiac disease are not available in the US.Do you live anywhere near a teaching hospital? The reason I ask is because often times, teaching hospitals have fellows clinics that cater to the un and underinsured. What this means is that you'll be seen by a doctor who's still in training, however, these clinics are typically supervised by an attending physician who is very experience in the field. Many have access to social workers who may be able to help you get insurance benefits as well. Not sure if you're near such a place, but it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know, the home kits for celiac disease are not available in the US.Do you live anywhere near a teaching hospital? The reason I ask is because often times, teaching hospitals have fellows clinics that cater to the un and underinsured. What this means is that you'll be seen by a doctor who's still in training, however, these clinics are typically supervised by an attending physician who is very experience in the field. Many have access to social workers who may be able to help you get insurance benefits as well. Not sure if you're near such a place, but it might be worth a shot.
Thanks for the suggestion, but nothing like that around where I live.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts