Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,I am new to this site. My name is Nicole, I am 33 years old and have been suffering with IBS-D since I was about 19. My IBS comes in waves usually. I can go months episode free and then months where I have episodes weekly. I thought I was "cured" of my IBS when I got pregnant with my son - I actually suffered extreme constipation towards the end of my pregnancy - which I never in a million years thought I would experience. I found myself taking Metamucil 3x a day. Well that all came to a screeching halt. I had an episode on Thanksgiving - I blamed it on eating too much. Then the episodes started. And when I say "episode" - my IBS starts of as VERY BAD PAIN in my lower abdomen, and it feels like it comes in waves until I can move my bowels. I will feel relief until the next wave of cramps come. Each subsequent wave causes more diarrhea until finally it is done. Usually an episode will last about an hour for me. The pain is so intense I get tears in my eyes. Two weeks ago I had the flu. On the third day of being sick I got very bad diarrhea - I actually went to the ER. They gave me Immodium and sent me home. Since then I have had nothing but loose stools. The past two nights I have been awaken by IBS cramps and diarrhea. I don't have to tell you that it sucks. I haven't even been eating anything crazy - I have been sticking to "safe" foods like grilled chicken, rice, toast, etc. My GI dr did a stool culture, which came back negative. I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago. I had an abdominal ultrasound about 2 weeks ago. All tests came back fine. My personal life has suffered b/c of this condition. There are some times I am playing with my son and I have to stop immediately b/c I have to run to the bathroom. Whenever I am in public I make sure I know where every bathroom is just in case. Bottom line is I am frustrated. I have tried eating organic yogurt - which I thought maybe might have helped me. My cousin recommended taking caltrate but I am skeptical. So here I am on this forum looking for band aids to this problem. I say band aid b/c I know unfortunately there is no cure for it. They say stress aggravates it. I am a VERY nervous person. I don't know if that plays into it. So I thank you for taking the time to read this extremely long post and I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Food is not the only trigger for IBS, often people get the same symptoms no matter what diet they eat or how much they stick to foods they think should be safe.Nervousness/Anxiety does make IBS worse (really makes all symptoms of all things worse) and that may be something you want to get therapy or medications to treat as reducing that sometimes helps (and some of the anxiety treatments may also treat IBS, especially the pain).The pain before a BM thing that then can go down after a BM is really common in IBS.We actually have quite a few people who do well with Calcium Carbonate (like Caltrate) you might check out the Calcium thread pinned at the top of the diarrhea forum

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi there,I also experienced relief during pregnancy. And 2-3 months after my cesarean, my pain and diarrhea are back too. I am also trying to just eat "safe" foods, but it doesn't seem to help very much. It is VERY frustrating, I know.Have you read up about endometriosis? I am 99.9% certain I have that (though I haven't had a diagnostic laparoscopy).Have you noticed the pain and diarrhea increasing with your ovulation and menstruation?Some things that help me: warm peppermint tea (Celestial Seasonings) - peppermint relaxes the intestines; heating pad; Stonyfield low fat yogurt (probiotics and Vitamin D); small amounts of Benefiber.The previous poster is correct about anxiety - it makes everything worse. Have you talked to your doctor about taking a muscle relaxer (like Valium)?

·
Banned
16 Posts
Hi,I do not think that paid and Dia around your menstrual cycle means you have endometriosis, because a lot of women get constipation and dia episodes around their cycles, caused by hormones.If you want to connect to my site aloemandy.com, you can get specific advice about the Aloe Vera GEL (not juice which is low in actual aloe). This gel is organic and has anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic properties and is an immuno-regulator. Unfortunately it can make you a little loose in the first few days as it "cleanses" all of the "gunk" out of the digestive tract. It then settles down and you may feel some relief in your symptoms. It is not a miracle cure but does ease symptoms to a greater or lesser degree in most people, some even become symptom free. I would suggest that you seek advice on the dosage, how to increase the dosage, and what to expect whilst taking it.It also has nutritional benefits as well, having vitamins, minerals and 8 of the 9 essential amino acids in it. It is also a pre-biotic, giving the ideal environment for pro-biotics to flourish. I can also supply pro-biotics in tablet form - ideal for those who find that dairy triggers them.Hope that this information is helpful.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts