Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I had a not too bad day at work, fairly busy but not crazy... I went home in the sunshine thinking I want to bask in the sun tonight... My boyfriend umpires baseball so I thought I will go with him tonight.... I ate supper and went to the bathroom before I left the house... We got about 20 mins out and you guessed it a wicked attack!!! I had to stop at a Dairy Queen and I though okay I went I will be okay... then it got worse.... we left the house late so I wanted Kevin to drop me off at my mom's but we had gone to far but were still to far from the diamonds... I ended up calling my parents who were home thank god and got Kevin to drop me off at a gas station and then after 20 mins my parents picked me up.... what a night... I am feeling better now after 3 immodium and a buscopan... I felt bad as I cried in the car and I upset my honey.... he just wants to make me feel better and he hurts for me.... I am mad at my stupid colon right now!!!! I don't know what is going on with me but I am going back to see my gastro doctor in two weeks.... I took metamucil today... I wonder if that set me off? I only get these bad attacks when I drink milk or bad things and I didn't have them today..... I hate the mystery of this syndrome... if I knew that milk was going to cause an attack I would never have it again!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhh okay I have vented and I feel better now... thanks for listening....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would say that the Metamucil could be a strong trigger. Were you hot? I suffer from C. but sometimes when I get hot D. just happens for no reason instantaneously (sp??)I do hope that you are feeling better now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you I am feeling better now... Feel like I have gone thru a wringer and back but not in pain anymore!!!! I didn't feel hot just cramping and nausea and horid... I always get the chills after an attack... I am hoping that it was the metamucil then I can eliminate that!!!! talk to you later

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
sandwomin - do you take Metamusil often? Because the first time I took it - wow! What an explosive reaction I had! I told my doctor and she decided to have me start it during Easter break when I didn't have to work; after using it for a few days, I got used to it. But now I've quit taking it entirely since I forgot it one day and there was no difference in my situation. Glad you're feeling a bit better now...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sanwomin: Didn't you tell me once that you ALWAYS get sick right before a baseball game? Do you think this might have had something to do with it?As for the metemucel, that could have done it. I'm glad you're feeling better though. Spirit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been slowly taking metamucil one tablespoon every third or fourth day... I knew that it would throw my system for a loop so i thought I would go at it really slow... I had another time at night where I had problems and I took metamucil that day so I didn't take it for four days which was today... i have only taken 4 doses so far and two of the days that I have taken it I have had an attack... Spirit I only got bad when I was going to have to play ball, I was just watching tonight... thanks for your insight thou!!!!!! talk to you later------------------sandwomin

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey, Sandwomin - Hope you feel better! I, too, play softball, and need to leave soon for a late game (I live on the west coast). I had a somewhat bad morning in the bathroom, but it was mild. Now I feel sort of iffy and I will be leaving to play soon. I understand how you feel! At least you didn't have any big commitments and was able to go home. I don't think Metamucil helps me, either. I could never figure out the right dosage. Maybe Fibercon tablets? Take care!

·
Registered
304 Posts
My gastro doc swears by Metamucil for both d and c conditions. I have used it steadily once a day for about six months. I've noticed it helps me NOT have those "liquid episodes". I stoppped mixing it with orange juice and started using plain water. I do much better without citrus fruits in my diet. I really needed to be "in control" today and, thanks to this group, I tried a preventative dose of Immodium. It worked! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Metamucil can be rough (pun intended) to get used to. I prefer to cook some miller's bran with my oatmeal -- it serves the same purpose (to bulk up the stool) with fewer drawbacks. Start out with one small teaspoon every morning and gradually work your way up to a tablespoon. You can buy it at any health food store.

·
Registered
456 Posts
How about psyllium (spelling) or ground flax seed both provide the fiber and are all natural you buy them in a health food store. I take 2 tablesoons of ground flax seed a day in a organic yogurt with acidophilus provides all the fiber anyone would need. Pardon the graphic discription here but Metamucilgave me strange stringy stools with flax seed they are normal.------------------�� wherever you go there you are

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.