Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,I'm new to the forums. I haven't had an official diagnosis of IBS, but I strongly suspect I have it.I suffer from an anxiety disorder, and over the last six months I have been affected by nausea, so I recently saw a GI doc who did an endoscopy (showed nothing unusual) and a gastric emptying scan (also normal).In addition to my nausea I suffer from constipation (I have for years) and I frequently pass mucous.I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has nausea with their IBS. And even more puzzling to me is a gagging sensation that I seem to get almost daily. I don't actually gag, but I have a "fluttery" feeling in my stomach and I feel sometimes as though I might gag or vomit. I guess I think of it as an upper GI version of a spastic colon. Does that sound crazy?
Sorry to ramble. It's just that I'm sick of feeling this way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also feel nauseous at times, and get that fluttery feeling. Sometimes it is actually accompanied by skipped heartbeats. Had a cardiac w/u that showed occassional irregular heartbeat, but no underlying pathology. So... I cut out caffeine and that helped (needed to do that for IBS anyway) but still get the fluttering. Seems to happen when I let myself get too hungry or dehydrated, and sometimes happens for no reason. Perhaps it is a bit of anxiety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your resposes.I have been taking anti-depressants and benzo-diazepenes for my anxiety disorder for more than a year now. Interestingly, this nausea/gagging situation is only about 6 months old.So, now I am weaning myself off of the antidepressant (a horrible process) to try and figure out if the drug I have been taking pehaps contributed to the way I'm feeling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i work in the mental health field and i've seen first hand people weening themselves off anti-depressants. it can be brutal. that probably won't help your nausea at all.good luck to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.