Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been underweight all my life and recently I was explicitly told by a vascular surgeon that it's making my IBS symptoms a lot worse. Without enough fat to keep things nice and separate and padded, things are becoming much too tightened inside. However, I can't tolerate most meats (pretty much just lean fish and poultry) and obviously a big fat load is a big symptom trigger too. I want to put on weight, always have, but now that it's pretty much life or death at this point, does anyone have some advice on how to do that? I already have 5 small meals a day with a protein source in each, and cassein+whey have been dangerous in the past, so any further suggestions would be welcomed and do me a lot of good.

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
i, too, am underweight and am trying to gain weight.

in addition to three meals a day, i also drink three bottles of boost a day. i use boost glucose control because that does have as much sugar as the regular boost. there are 190 calories in one bottle.

good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I definitely appreciate a response. It's comforting to be heard. However, since it's mostly water and milk protein, I can't actually drink that, because of my intolerance of both cassein and whey. This is my big issue, that so much weight gain supplement on the market is essentially liquid cheese and thus undigestible to me but a feast for my gut flora. They're fat and happy, and I'm thin and gassy. But I do sincerely appreciate the extension of help.

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
sorry . wish i could be of some help.

have you consulted a dietician or nutritionalist? they might be able to give you some good advice.

Reactions: agreenie

·
Community Manager
13,189 Posts
yes, there are nutritionalists who are also familiar with ibs, trigger foods etc. hopefully you can find one who can help you. good luck.

Good luck on your own weight gain journey!
thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am inclined to be underweight too. I lost so much weight during Covid last year it was scary, but noticed the weight did come back on again to my original weight (which is fairly skinny!)

I find gluten free breads help, but it's good to get the best because some are just awful. If you can find an artisan baker who does gluten free that would be great.

An artisan gluten free baker might also have gf cakes, pastries, treats.

If you're not gluten free, then if there's no cassein or whey in the products, then eating things like that as well as your more healthy food might help?

I also eat potatoes, rice both brown and white, quinoa. I don't shun any carbs that suit my gut.

I don't know how you are with fats like coconut oil?...butter? (does pure butter have whey?)

Or basically anything that is low FODMAP but high calorie. I find whole eggs sit well with my gut. They are pretty high calorie and so nutritious.

Strangely, I am also okay with chocolate! So I eat that too. It never seems to bother me. But you might not be able to eat milk chocolate as I think most of it has whey.

Reactions: agreenie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts