Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -I had a HIDA-Scan on Friday. Test shows my Gall Bladder is functioning at less than 5%. My doctor has scheduled surgery for tomorrow 4-13-05 to remove my Gall Bladder.Any thoughts on this?Sure hope this is the answer to my problems.
I have been suffering from this since Dec 03. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
hi SB i hope all goes well with the op, my partner has this prob too, but as its not bothering him just now they are just giving him medication to keep it under control. let us know how the op goes.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Gall bladder can cause a fair amount of problems...so at least some things should get better after it is removed.Just a note that some people do get increased diarrhea after gall bladder removal because bile just flows into the intestines and you may produce more bile than you can recycle.There are things that deal with that, and a gall bladder if it goes bad enough long enough can be a medical emergency, so don't let the maybe I might get some diarrhea stop you.Reducing fat in the diet will reduce the amount of bile you produce (and some people find fat sets off gall bladder attacks when it goes bad, so some are doing this already).Questran binds bile and that can reduce the problem.Some people on the board (LNAPE) who had this problem keeps it under control with calcium supplements.K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To encourage you, I have a friend who has suffered with severeIBS symptoms for 5+ years. All gall bladder tests indicated no problem, but her doctor finally decided it was the only possible cause and removed it. She's been IBS free for 6 weeks and can eat anything she wants to. I hope you have the same fabulous results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I am looking forward to the surgery. Anything to stop this living hell I have been going through Since December of 2003. 14 months is long enough. Thank you so much for your post. I can live with some diarrhea if it happens. Thank you so much. I will definitely let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi SB,Ive had ibs-d for 4 years now. I was diagnosed with gallstones in March 2001 (strangely i started suffering with ibs a month later, dont know if the two are connected). Anyway, on my doctors advice i had my gallbladder removed in Feb 2003. The operation went well, and i was home within two days. Since the op my ibs hasnt got better, but it hasn't got worse either. You will still have to watch what you eat as certain foods can still cause the pain you've had before the op. Sorry if this isnt what you want to hear, but i thought you might want to hear from someone who has been through the same thing.Hope everything goes well.Pam xx

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Pam -Did they do a HIDA-Scan prior to removing your Gallbladder? If so, what percentage was working? Sometimes doctors assume its the Gallbladder without a test to back it up. Just curious as to what your situation was.ThanksSB

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi SB, No i didnt have a HIDA-scan prior to the op. I had been suffering with servere upper abdominal pain on and of for years. Certain foods seem to make to pain alot worse, and after a really bad attack i finally went to my doctor. After asking many questions he said you either have an ulcer or you have gallstones, and he organised a ultra -sound, which revealed 9 small gallstones. I then went on to see a consultant who said at my age ( i was 30 at the time ) he said best to have my gallbladder removed, because if one of the stones moved, it could cause alot of problems. So i had the op.Pam xx

·
Registered
130 Posts
I started having gall bladder problems shortly after being dx'd w/IBS-C. I'm a little concerned that your Dr. wants to operate so quickly!I had a HIDASCAN showing my gall bladder was hardly functioning, and I was in constant pain. YET, that being said, my physician waited about a month before scheduling me with a surgeon. I don't know why, at the time I was anxious to get it over with and feel better, but I had to wait.You really might want another opinion.After my cholecystectomy, I had problems with D, and of course had to adjust my diet, even though I'd eaten low fat my entire life. I thought that was odd, me, being a 'fruit and nut' from Calif. who had always eaten healthy and here I was with this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.