Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Gallbladders, Bile Ducts, and IBS

753 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  LNAPE 
#1 ·
Hello,A couple months ago I had my gallbladder removed. To my dismay I still have IBS. Although I have been in even more pain as my bile bucts do the same thing as my gallbladder did. It is my thought that these spasms are one in the same with my IBS. Even though it's not bowl spasms, it has a negative effect all throughout the bowl which creates an irratible bowl.How many people here don't have a gallbladder?It seems IBS is growing at a fast pace right along with Gallbladder removal. Correlation?Gall stones are one thing but in my case my gallbladder was absolutely disfunctional. Otherwise im in perfect health. Not to mention when they do the fractionated test its also possible that the intermittent spasm just didnt happen at that point. In fact its understood regarding bile ducts that eating is what triggers it's movements.Here's the kicker:I was fine for a week after gallbladder surgery. I was eating a lot of heavy foods and doing fine. Then I went to a freinds place where everyone was smoking. Boom! Bile duct contriction and I was rushed to the er. Ever since the "sphincter of oddi" has been spasmodic off and on!From this I can gather that theres something in smoke that initiates the ongoing spasms. From what I can remember smoke is what caused my first episode of IBS to begin with. Also gasoline has the same effect in punctuating the agony.

#2 ·
picklebarrel,Most likely what you have is bile salts diarrhea and this happens to about 30% of us who have had the gall bladder removed. Calcium carbonate may help to control this and I will send you the info if you email me or you can get it on the diarrhea section of this board.Let me know if I can help.Linda

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.