Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 4+ years of IBS(d) misery. I have read everything I could find on IBS(d)I ran across a couple of articles recently where patients who had gall bladders removed exhibited the same symptoms as IBS(d). Apparently a properly functioning gall bladder helps control bowel activity.I recently found out (via CAT) scan that I have some gall stones. They were looking for kidney stones -- which I also had in profusion. Is it possible that gall stones can so impact a gall bladder that it looses its ability to help control the bowels? I don't have any of the typical gall bladder failure symptoms.Question 2: Assuming the above is true, is it possible that removing the stones will permit the gall bladder to again function normally?Quite a few years ago QUESTRAN was tried without success. It is an experience I don't wish to repeat--liquid sandpaper which doesn't all help to sooth irritated internals!

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Angry, It's not so much that Gall stones impede normal bowel function. The Gall Bladder is the bile regulator. Yes stones could effect its function. The liver produces the bile, the gall bladder stores it & releases it when needed, like after eating. Once the gall bladder is removed, the liver just dumps bile. Too much bile = D. Eventually the liver calms the flow of bile down. However those without a gall bladder may experience D post-operatively, like for several months or just a few weeks or for some lucky ones, not at all. I think those of us with IBS can have the IBS aggravated by the excess bile, hence more D. The questran is a nasty cocktail.....no argument. It is however a bile binder which can firm things up, D wise. Blessedly, they have come out with a pill form of this called Colestid. Ask your Doc about it. Also it may help you to eat real low fat meals for right now. Less fat, I believe, will mean less work for the GB & less bile.Good luck & I hope you are feeling better soon. BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 07-27-2001).]

· Registered
14,050 Posts
Angry, It's not so much that Gall stones impede normal bowel function. The Gall Bladder is the bile regulator. Yes stones could effect its function. The liver produces the bile, the gall bladder stores it & releases it when needed, like after eating. Once the gall bladder is removed, the liver just dumps bile. Too much bile = D. Eventually the liver calms the flow of bile down. However those without a gall bladder may experience D post-operatively, like for several months or just a few weeks or for some lucky ones, not at all. I think those of us with IBS can have the IBS aggravated by the excess bile, hence more D. The questran is a nasty cocktail.....no argument. It is however a bile binder which can firm things up, D wise. Blessedly, they have come out with a pill form of this called Colestid. Ask your Doc about it. Also it may help you to eat real low fat meals for right now. Less fat, I believe, will mean less work for the GB & less bile.Good luck & I hope you are feeling better soon. BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 07-27-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.