Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Angry, It's not so much that Gall stones impede normal bowel function. The Gall Bladder is the bile regulator. Yes stones could effect its function. The liver produces the bile, the gall bladder stores it & releases it when needed, like after eating. Once the gall bladder is removed, the liver just dumps bile. Too much bile = D. Eventually the liver calms the flow of bile down. However those without a gall bladder may experience D post-operatively, like for several months or just a few weeks or for some lucky ones, not at all. I think those of us with IBS can have the IBS aggravated by the excess bile, hence more D. The questran is a nasty cocktail.....no argument. It is however a bile binder which can firm things up, D wise. Blessedly, they have come out with a pill form of this called Colestid. Ask your Doc about it. Also it may help you to eat real low fat meals for right now. Less fat, I believe, will mean less work for the GB & less bile.Good luck & I hope you are feeling better soon. BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Angry, It's not so much that Gall stones impede normal bowel function. The Gall Bladder is the bile regulator. Yes stones could effect its function. The liver produces the bile, the gall bladder stores it & releases it when needed, like after eating. Once the gall bladder is removed, the liver just dumps bile. Too much bile = D. Eventually the liver calms the flow of bile down. However those without a gall bladder may experience D post-operatively, like for several months or just a few weeks or for some lucky ones, not at all. I think those of us with IBS can have the IBS aggravated by the excess bile, hence more D. The questran is a nasty cocktail.....no argument. It is however a bile binder which can firm things up, D wise. Blessedly, they have come out with a pill form of this called Colestid. Ask your Doc about it. Also it may help you to eat real low fat meals for right now. Less fat, I believe, will mean less work for the GB & less bile.Good luck & I hope you are feeling better soon. BQ[This message has been edited by BQ (edited 07-27-2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.