Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been taking acidolphilus for years for the D. I thought it was supposed to help gas, also. For a while I had been having excessive gas 2-3 days at a time. Anything I ate would give me really bad gas. Then it would go away for no apparent reason. Since I thought acidophilus was supposed to help make everything right in my gut, I started to increase the amount I was taking. It didn't seem to help. Then the last time I tried it, it actually seemed to make it worse!
So I stopped taking the acidophilus altogether. I haven't had another bout of excessive gas since!
Jennifer

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I just want to clarify something. In my last post I said scotch was better than beer for gas. It may sound like it has no relevance to this thread but it does. What I meant is that the vsl3 bacteria produce gas when they drink the beer. as opposed to the whisky. I have noticed this connection only with beer and not scotch. I had had a scotch last might.While scotch is not bad for gas, it is obviously not very good for communication.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I just want to clarify something. In my last post I said scotch was better than beer for gas. It may sound like it has no relevance to this thread but it does. What I meant is that the vsl3 bacteria produce gas when they drink the beer. as opposed to the whisky. I have noticed this connection only with beer and not scotch. I had had a scotch last might.While scotch is not bad for gas, it is obviously not very good for communication.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: 6-7 farts immediately after a meal in a space of five minutes
Did I miss this above? Anyway, counts don't count (pardon the pun) until they are daily (that�s 24 hours) for over at least a week.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: 6-7 farts immediately after a meal in a space of five minutes
Did I miss this above? Anyway, counts don't count (pardon the pun) until they are daily (that�s 24 hours) for over at least a week.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
LOL flux. You are getting real fun these days with your graphics and pun. Excuse the kind of pun on the word pun.
As far as excessive goes, it's all in the point of view isn't it? If you look at the average numbe of farts per person, your farts may not be excessive, but if you look at your average no of farts a day, one day your number of farts that day may be higher than your own average and then you can think of that as excessive. And who says the average of the day is what you should look at. Sometimes average per hour is a better indication of excessive. Because if your average farts/hour is 1, and then you have 6 farts in an hour- it makes all the difference in the inconvenience it causes you. Say you are at a meeting-1 fart/hr you can handle but 6 farts an hour is major inconvenience- It means you have to leave the room 6 times or hold back all those farts and then think of the discomfort. I think for a more meaningful study of patients perceptions of excessive or of gas being a "disability",comparing your no of farts per hour to the your own average per hour is more meaningful and any medical treatment must be founded on that. Could you please pass this on to your old friend, Levitt, from me?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
LOL flux. You are getting real fun these days with your graphics and pun. Excuse the kind of pun on the word pun.
As far as excessive goes, it's all in the point of view isn't it? If you look at the average numbe of farts per person, your farts may not be excessive, but if you look at your average no of farts a day, one day your number of farts that day may be higher than your own average and then you can think of that as excessive. And who says the average of the day is what you should look at. Sometimes average per hour is a better indication of excessive. Because if your average farts/hour is 1, and then you have 6 farts in an hour- it makes all the difference in the inconvenience it causes you. Say you are at a meeting-1 fart/hr you can handle but 6 farts an hour is major inconvenience- It means you have to leave the room 6 times or hold back all those farts and then think of the discomfort. I think for a more meaningful study of patients perceptions of excessive or of gas being a "disability",comparing your no of farts per hour to the your own average per hour is more meaningful and any medical treatment must be founded on that. Could you please pass this on to your old friend, Levitt, from me?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
BTW, I just thought of this- when I said you are getting real fun these days, I didn't mean you weren't fun before, LOL. You have always been fun, flux
. This is just fun in a different punny way. I was only trying to crack my pun

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
BTW, I just thought of this- when I said you are getting real fun these days, I didn't mean you weren't fun before, LOL. You have always been fun, flux
. This is just fun in a different punny way. I was only trying to crack my pun

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
But flux, to be serious, what is the point of using a word such as excessive? I believe the medical community doesn't think gas is a medical problem. So would they consider excess gas to be a medical problem? I don't know why they or you would care about distinguishing between excessive or not.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
But flux, to be serious, what is the point of using a word such as excessive? I believe the medical community doesn't think gas is a medical problem. So would they consider excess gas to be a medical problem? I don't know why they or you would care about distinguishing between excessive or not.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The problem with excessive is that it is extremely objective.Some people may feel that if they fart AT ALL that they have excessive gas, because everyone around them hides the farts and they may think that 10 farts a day is way more than anyone else has.Reassuring people that is it NORMAL to fart MANY times a day may be needed.Yep, the colon wakes up after you eat so it is probably normal to fart a few times as the colon pushes all the gas that is hanging around down to the end. but 3X6 farts is 18 and is still in the normal range for amount of gas even though the distribution is not equal assuming there isn't many other fart episodes during the day.The main thing you find is that MOST people think that the gas they have is WAY more than what anyone else has, even in normal people. The culture seems to make us think we shouldn't really have any farts what-so-ever. I assume in cultures where farting is not nearly so taboo people tend to be less likely to say 10-20 farts a day is excessive.Yep, IBSers generally have to pay a much bigger price for holding in a fart than normal people so can't hold it til the meeting is over, but that doesn't mean the amount is unusual...what is unusual is the rectum's response and the cramping, etc that comes from holding it.and Yep the Medical profession isn't going to go to great lengths to make you fart way less than is average and they know that what most people call excessive is what in all the surveys comes up as in the normal range.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The problem with excessive is that it is extremely objective.Some people may feel that if they fart AT ALL that they have excessive gas, because everyone around them hides the farts and they may think that 10 farts a day is way more than anyone else has.Reassuring people that is it NORMAL to fart MANY times a day may be needed.Yep, the colon wakes up after you eat so it is probably normal to fart a few times as the colon pushes all the gas that is hanging around down to the end. but 3X6 farts is 18 and is still in the normal range for amount of gas even though the distribution is not equal assuming there isn't many other fart episodes during the day.The main thing you find is that MOST people think that the gas they have is WAY more than what anyone else has, even in normal people. The culture seems to make us think we shouldn't really have any farts what-so-ever. I assume in cultures where farting is not nearly so taboo people tend to be less likely to say 10-20 farts a day is excessive.Yep, IBSers generally have to pay a much bigger price for holding in a fart than normal people so can't hold it til the meeting is over, but that doesn't mean the amount is unusual...what is unusual is the rectum's response and the cramping, etc that comes from holding it.and Yep the Medical profession isn't going to go to great lengths to make you fart way less than is average and they know that what most people call excessive is what in all the surveys comes up as in the normal range.K.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.