Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI was wondering if anyone would like to reply to this or have any comments to make. I have had IBS now for about 16 years. I had a colonoscopy 5 yrs ago which came back saying I had a sensitive bowel and one 5 yrs before that which came back clear.My symptoms are gas noises and rumbles, running to the loo a lot sometimes 5 and 6 times a day which doesnt happen on all days and awful back ache and abdomen pain. I sometimes take gastro stop which does slow things down. I seem to have had this particular bout now for about 15 months with only short periods when it eases up then comes back in again. I do like a drink socially and am wondering if beer is keeping my bowel upset. Does anyone else have similar symptoms. I do get worried that it could be something more serious do you think I should ask for another colonoscopy or do you think its IBS accept it and get on with my life. I dont pass blood and last year sent off a stool sample which came back clear of any occult blood.Hope to hear from someone, thanks, Ricardo

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If things have gotten worse it probably is worth checking with the doctor and at least getting routine blood work and a stool sample.Depending on symptoms you may not need a colonoscopy again, but you can discuss that with the doctor.Some people do find alcohol in general and beer in particular set off the IBS, so you may want to cut back and see if helps (especially if socially is more than 1-2 beers per day)Some people develop celiac as life goes on, so it may be worth being tested for that, especially if you haven't done that before (and that would mean no beer, but you could have other adult beverages as long as there is no barley, wheat, or rye)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kathleen thanks for your reply, I will talk to my doctor about your suggestion. Is backache a common symptom of IBS, I seem to get that a lot.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A lot of people complain of that and pain in the torso commonly tends to travel around so where the pain is, isn't always where the pain starts. Often it goes to the back, so it could just be the IBS pain being "referred" to the back.However, back pain has a lot of causes and you could actually have a back problem (and often if one things starts hurting other things start hurting in a "misery loves company" kind of reaction). So it may be worth having the back checked out as a separate issue to make sure you don't have something going on with it that may need treatment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts