Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic sounds repetitious, but this is all relatively new to me. My stomach looks like I might be 9 months pregnant and I have gas so bad til I don't want any company. I have to get something today for the gas. Are there any good suggestions for herbals or such? If I took a laxative (I'm usually C) would that help to decrease the size of my stomach? I have started doing crunches because I can't wear my size 8 clothes anymore! I definitely can't afford a new wardrobe! For me to exercise, I must be desperate! I have reached the point of desperation! Help please!!

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Wow, Patty, I thought you were doing well lately. I am sorry you are having problems. I thought you had kind of switched to the "D" side of things? You mentioned the gas and bloating but how are your bowel movements? If you are "C", that most likely is what is causing the gas and bloating. If that is the case, take something to get things moving and see if that helps. I remember you used to say acidolphilus w/pectin helped you. Try taking that again along with magnesium supplements. Mag. oxide or mag.citrate work the best. You can safely take up to 400 milligrams a day. For the gas try either Phazyme or Gas-x. Hope you feel better soon.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Regular laxative use should be avoided.Some ideas.Probiotics. These are friendly bacteria that don't produce much gas when they eat the stuff you don't. What they eat can't be eaten by the bacteria that make lots of gas from eating what you don't digest/absorb. (since these are unregulated some brand may not have any bacteria in them. Probiotica--which I used and works well for me, Culturelle and PB8 seem to be brands that work for alot of people so may actually have what they say they have on them). Yogurts with live cultures are another source.Simethicone. Not herbal/natural but a drug that is not absorbed into the body and has few if any reports of adverse side effects. Helps some people found in OTC things like Gas-X.Magnesium supplements. Sometimes easing the constipation helps and magnesium supplements between the RDA of 400 mgs and the maximum of 1000 mgs or so seem to help some people manage their constipation.Diet changes. Limit the amount of starches other than rice starch that you consume and if you use soluble fiber supplements consider switchin to bran (and insoluble fiber) or to one of the non-fermentable fibers like methylcellulose (citrucel) or polycarbophil (Fibercon).K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Rose! I had started the D for a while, but now I'm back to the normal C and feeling just awful for the past couple of days! I used to take the acidolphilus, but stopped a long time ago. It seemed to start causing D and it just didn't feel quite right after a while. While at the drug store today, I'll look at the magnesium -- it's definitely worth a try, if it's working for you.kmottos, thanks for some great info.I've never been lactose intolerant before, but I'm starting to wonder if that might be my problem now. I've been eating a lot of dairy products (but I always have) lately also. Just racking my brain to see what might be different now. Who knows with IBS???

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Hey Patty, you are right, who knows with IBS. That's what stinks about having this; is you never know from one day to the next how you are going to feel.
I also thought of something else to try. Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil at night before bed along with the magnesium. I have been taking it lately and it seems to help somewhat. It can't hurt.
------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Use the extra virgin olive oil. it has a much lighter flavor than the regular stuff.Also you don't have to take it straight. Drizzle it on foods, or my favorite way to eat olive oil is to put it on a small plate with some herbs and some balsamic vinear. (or just plain) and sop it up with a crusty piece of Italian bread. Some of the Italian Resturants put it out like this. You get the bread basket and a saucer with the oil for sopping up...mmmmmmmmm.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
There is an Herbal stimulant laxative formula by Nature's Way. It is called AloeMaxLax (one word). Until recently I got it from the GNC stores. I think they are discontinuing it but it can still be ordered directly from Nature's Way.I think info on it is listed on the Nature's Way website.Jackie

G

·
Maybe someone out there can help me. I have been having terrible stomach cramps (usually in my lower stomach) bloating, gas, constipation for over 2 years. I have gone to the doctor several times and I have gotten several different answers, remedies, and resolutions for this problem. None have worked. Everything has been suggested from eating differently, exercising, taking vitamin B6, etc. I recently went and had a barium enema done. The tests showed nothing out of the ordinary. I was very upset and discouraged that no one can seem to find what exactly is wrong. I do not think it is okay for someone to be doubled over in pain and to gain 3-5 lbs due to gas and bloating. I am near tears and looking to know if someone can help me with my problem. I am just not sure if I have IBS, although all of the symptoms seem to fit. In answer to Patty's question as to herbal remedies I have used 1 tsp. of Marojam (the spice) mixed with 1 tsp. of Cumin. If you can swallow it, it releaves the pressure of gas pretty quickily. I have also used Colace, a stool softener, for those of you who are constipated, but like most medications my body soon become accustomed to it. Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi, I have suffered from SEVERE bloating and pain on a daily basis for the last two years. About a month ago, a very overweight friend of mine convinced me to try the SugarBusters diet with her for her support system. Amazingly, I have not bloated once since beginning this diet!! It has improved my bowel habits, reduced the bloat and pain, and I have lost 8 lbs. in the process. I guess I have to attribute the improvement to getting the overgrowth of GI bacteria under conrol by not "feeding" it with sugar and starch. I'm a totally new person! Try it, it might help!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.