Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I’m a 22 year old female suffering from really bad gas and bloating and anxiety attacks. I don’t have any other symptoms like constipation or diarrhoea.Sorry this is such a long story but I am losing my mind!It 1st started after a holiday to Turkey only 5 months ago. I had never had any of these feelings before this holiday EVER!While I was in Turkey I got an upset stomach and took Imodium which then made me constipated for about 7 days (I have no idea if that is normal). A week or so after I got back I started to suffer with really, really bad gas. I get terrible grumbling feelings in my lower abdomen and passing wind throughout the day, all day, everyday! In honesty I thought it was my rye biscuits I was having for my dinner! So I stopped eating them but the gas has carried on. I don’t have a distended stomach but even though I have been passing wind all the time, I am still bloated. During the last 5 months, I have been to the doctors a few times and each different doctor said, ‘its only IBS… here have some peppermint, they might work but they might not’… I was like, oh thanks doc…I have been on every single tablet under the sun, in fact I think I nearly bought out Holland and Barrett! Peppermint, mobeverine, charcoal, lactose supplements etc etc but nothing has worked for me.I have self diagnosed myself as to also having anxiety attacks. I no what these are and how they work as I suffered from them for a short while when I was 18 and took beta blockers for a month or so.My anxiety has become really bad as after I got back from my holiday I have had a tough and very upsetting time with a close friend and starting university, but also, because of my problem I cant enjoy a physical and sexual relationship with my boyfriend.I have been with him for 7 months and he is amazing, and totally understands the stress this is causing me but…. I cant pass wind in front of him (through pure embarrassment) in fact any mention of poo or fart and I go absolutely red in the face, I just cant talk about it and don’t know why and I am really trying to work on that… but still the problem is still here and its making my anxiety attacks worse because every time we come close to intimacy, my anxiety causes my wind to get worse (…this is hard for me to repeat and and i'm suffering from an attack while I am typing this but here goes..one very embarrassing time, I actually broke wind during fore play and my situation has got worse since then)This problem is tearing me apart and I don’t know what to do!I have got myself an ‘anxiety attack’ self hypnosis cd to listen to which I hope will calm me down. I recently went to a natural health clinic for colonic hydrotherapy to see if it would have any benefits and it didn’t. The therapist told me straight that it wouldn’t cure the problem and that I could have tests done that will see how well my stomach acid is working and my pancreas and small intestine.Has anyone had these tests?? Used hypnotherapy? Or no of anything that could help me? I am open to any ideas!xxx

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Terri.. your not alone im 22 too =) , i seem to get bad gas n bloatedness and when i get stressed it seems to get worse! my doc also gave my antispasmodics, whilst that has stoped my bowles going in constant spasumsafter i eat it still hasnt worked for my bloating. i also have a bf and sometimes feels it stresses the relationship (2 years and 4 amazing months) - i wasnt always likethis either but it was thought backin august i developed gasterointerits i couldnt holdanything down for about a week, iwas living off soup mash only basic things! i seemed torecover then it seemed to start up everytime i was on my period! so last month i began the pill, itstopped my bad period cramps, but then i got nausea (side effects) thats worn off now and i start my second pack tomorrow. i believe i need more tests my self but have noidea where n what toask for, although im gettin better and gettin a proper appetite back, i for some strange reson cannot handle bread, or anything bread related, or chips...not likeiwas a massive fan of chips but still ate them! where is your bloating? min is belly button and below and is very uncomfy, my docalso said its JUST ibs but you would have thought being diagnosed at least 3 months ago i would have some kind ofcontrol over it but i dont! have you tried eating a little n often and not having big meals? i find it eases the bloating but somedays it can agrivate it! i cannot win lol x

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my bloating is in my belly button and below, and I can feel it in my lower back (sort of a bubbling sensation) I have no control of it either and don't know what to change about my eating habits, I only eat light meals anyway, I hardly ever eat bread or chips or fatty foods.I go to the gym everyday as well. I didn't have a big change in diet for this to happen either that's why its getting me down so much!I managed to get an appointment at a natural health clinic tonight to give me tests to see how well my digestive system is working (gall bladder, stomach, pancreas etc) because apparently if your enzymes aren't working properly, your food wont get broken down properly and that is what could cause the gas and bloatedness and you could need enzyme supplements like ox bile or hydrochloric acid for instance
…and also maybe food intolerances and vitamin deficiencies. I will let you no what the test is called because I cant remember.Before I forget, when I had my colonic hydrotherapy done, the therapist who did it said I DIDN'T have ibs and the docs say that to everyone who has a gut problem…. This is why I am so confused! I will update on the tests when I get my results

·
Registered
162 Posts
I feel you on that one mate!! when you dont get a definitive answer it stresses you out more and makes things worse! im on alverine citrate atm have been for about a week, it seems to be working, so im stayin on them for a bit! i had no changes in my diet or anything i just became very poorly in august for a week n it went from there...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Charcoal capsules and digestive enzymes might work. I have bloating 24/7 and wind, I also have severe ibs-d every day.I am going to get both to see if they will help me, I take so many pills, i am rattling. I also suffer with anxiety and panic attacks, so understand how you feel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update, i had my tests done yesterday and still dont no what the machine was called, i think it was called the 'B.E.S.T machine'i was so happy when i came out! i have something wrong with me! its not all in my head! (well some of it is) but there is something causing my stomach upset!so, apparently according to this sensitivity test, I am low in my essential fatty acids, digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid and acidophillus, that is why i am not digesting food properly and i get bad bloating and gas and wind :) i am also low in most of my vitamin Bs, i have an underactive pituitary gland and low hormone levels, which explains my stress and anxiety and they all go in a vicious circle.I am going back next week for my toxic triangle test because my body is quite toxic, they will do the test to get a personalised detox programme incorporating advanced remedies to neutrilise and eliminate the toxins so i will feel less stressed and get all my balances back up to normal and then i will feel better, hopefully in a month or so :-D i cant wait!i will keep you all updated!

·
Registered
976 Posts
xxterrixxHow did you manage to get all of those tests done, I am in UK and all i have been offered is usual bloods, stool sample tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy and ct scan. I take it you paid privately to have the tests done at a clinic. I do hope the tests are correct and you get some help from having them done.Sorry just saw your other post. you got them done at a clinic and paid. I know if the tests are out there, the nhs should do them, we all need help, we never get offered anything that .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the tests really arnt that expensive for the answers you get and i dont think its a farce. plus the fact its actually given me an answer means i feel so much happier, infact today is the first day in a while that my chest doesnt feel like its gonna burst open from my anxiety! its actually quite calm! which is a start! :-D everything is the same (gas wind etc etc) but i havnt had any supplements yet, but time will tell, i think i am being to over optimistic but i like to be possitive! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have this problem with my boyfriend. We've been together 10 months, crossed over into the L word phase, and every single time I plan on going over to his house, I end up stressing myself out, having really bad D or really bad gas beforehand and then of course I pop a ton of pills before I get there and am just so worried about doing anything embarrassing in front of him that I just can't wait for us to go to sleep. THIS SUCKS. I have been so stressed and bloated and horrible feeling this week that I am almost to the point of breaking down and telling him about the IBS but its just so embarrassing!!! I HATE talking about farts and pooping and the only reason I can do it here in these forums is because we are all (a) suffering from the same thing and (B) hidden behind screen names! But there are more of us in your position. And I wish there was an easy way to tell our loved ones. NO ONE knows. None of my family. None of my friends. I've been making up stories and hiding this for almost 3 years. Last week, as my bf and I were falling asleep I farted and it was baaaaad and he was like "did you just fart?" and I just wanted to curl up and die! He's never farted in front of me (that I know of). AH. WHY is this so stressful?! I'm convinced that if we didnt worry about farting or having to deal with our bathroom issues in front of other people, half of our problems would go away!!! I mean, I have no problem talking about my period or the fact I need to pee in front of other people but this.... uh no. Can't do it! Don't you hate that?!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am currently suffering terrible bloating and wind myself, I notice it seems to happen when I become more constipated and have been eating quite a lot of starchy foods.I was suffering the other week very badly and managed to get out of it by eating kiwi's. Kiwi's naturally have something in that increases pepsin, the acid in your stomach, they also have soluble fibre which will keep everything moving. Dunno whether it would work but worth a shot. I just ate 1 or 2 for breakfast for a few days in a row and it really cleared me out.I'm going to buy some tomorrow in hope they'll help.Oats also work really well. Try having porridge or an oat based cereal for breakfast.I'm going to be having oats for breakfast and kiwi's for a while from now on, as I'm currently suffering from MAJOR bloating and wind. Hope you guys feel better soon, bloating and flatulence is certainly one of the most embarrasing sides of IBS... not that any of them are particularly glamorous.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stoptheqtip- yeah i dont understand either, i can talk about weeing and being on my period as well but when it comes to pooing and farting im like ARGH! why is it so bad to talk about it? my boyfriend has never dont it in front of me and i have tried so many times to talk about it but i just go all mental and crazy then end up having an attack and making my situation worse and not being able to talk. its getting so bad now that im embarrassed about it, infront of my own family at home, thats the one place i could let it all out but now im feeling like, im totally not normal and they think im disgusting! which is how i feel. like in front of my boyfriend, i am supposed to be his sexy girlfriend but i feel so stupid now because i cant even have a spontaneous physical relationship with him, i have to plan it and its horrible. i cant wait til next week when i have my toxicity tests dont to get on my hormone supplements and help with everything.thelibertine- i am gonna try your kiwi diet! i have been having porridge for breakfast for about a week and notice that i do get a bowl movement which is good. because i am not constipated, i just dont go that often. my wind is still the same. my mum keeps sayin, everybody farts i dont no what your bothered about... and im just thinking, yes i no everybody farts, but not ALL day, constantly with constant bloating. does the kiwi make you fart more? or help stop you farting as much cos its helps your digestive enzymes? cheers for the replies guys. i will be having my sensitivity tests and toxic triangle tests next week and ill let you no how it goes :) im optimistic!xxx

·
Registered
16 Posts
like in front of my boyfriend, i am supposed to be his sexy girlfriend but i feel so stupid now because i cant even have a spontaneous physical relationship with him, i have to plan it and its horrible.
Yes! Omg yes. This is probably one of the most stressful things in the world. I'm lucky enough to live at home and my family has a HUGE house so we each have our own bathroom and I live and work upstairs alone so when I'm having problems, I can hide them. They have no idea I have this. But every time I want to see my guy, I have these stressed moments and I basically prep ALL day for this, trying to convince myself I"m okay, etc. Tonight I'm supposed to go over to his place with my best friend (who now lives with me and my family) and a couple of my bf's friends and drink wine and play games. I'm *already* nervous and its only 10:45 am. LOL. I'm sure some people who don't understand would tell me its all in my head and I need to chill out. I'm sure part of that is true - I noticed the other night when I was over at his place watching Glee and Top Chef, my mind was so focused on the shows I felt TOTALLY NORMAL for those 2 hours and it was only when I started thinking about how normal I was feeling that I started feeling rumblings in my gut. UG. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING. You can't be sexy with IBS. But at the same time, how can you TELL the guy you're crazy about that you have mad crazy stomach problems without seeming disgusting?! I'm really hoping that in a couple months I'll feel a little more comfortable and will be able to talk to him. I know I'll cry and be embarrassed but maybe that will show him how sensitive and stressful this whole thing is?? I also found this great brochure on THIS site that explains IBS to people who don't have it and its illustrated and talks about the top 10 things people with IBS want you to know. Like: "when I'm having an attack, I need space" and "i can't control how often i get sick" or "its not funny when you have to live with it every day". I really think that in the future I will give this to him and have a brief conversation with him. But ack! That'll probably stress me right into the bathroom too.
At least I'm trying to work up the courage to do this. :-/ ITS HARD THOUGH! You know I read that 1 in 10 women have this problem. ONE IN TEN WOMEN. That's a lot of the population! How do they all deal with it?! I've never met anyone in person that I've known with this issue but if 1 in 10 women have this then there's a lot of us and that means there's gotta be guys who still find those women sexy, right? :-D I'm trying to be hopeful and optimistic! Don't give up hope xxterrixx

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi terri,kiwi's increase pepsin, therefore reduce indigestion which in turn helps with flatulence. In other words they should reduce your farting, as long as you don't eat a lot of other gassy foods. Be careful not to eat too many at once though as they have lots of fibre. I reccomend 1 or 2 a day.Just had 2 today myself, hopefully will reduce my bloating soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi you all!I am 22 aswell, and I have been in good shape and health thorugh my life.As OP, I also went to another country and got constipation! I was in Australia 2007, and at the end of my stay, I had some kind of flu, followed b a constipation I took some pills to get rid of. Since then, my stomach was not working like it should, eg. I was sweating alot around the anus region, and I had problems to get it all out. I though this was the problem, and therefore I went to do a colonoscopy and the other version, where they put a tube down your throat. Of couse everything was normal, and all my values were either normal, or just on the border of becoming unnormal. I hate not beeing able to get a diagnose for this, and that everyone else seems to have the same problem.I made a big post about that we should make a dedicated webiste about body odor, but nobody has replied yet! Feel free to drop me a line or two!swe . [email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 51, married 10 years. Since being married, I notice the gas problem more than anything! It seems like only when I take something called Titralac (a chewable symethicone tablet), does the gas ease. Now that we no longer have health insurance, and stress level has increased, so the gas has too! Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Some people find that a good probiotic or digestive enzymes can help reduce their gas.All the best

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BQ - Hey, i am having a toxicity test done tomorrow for the right digestive enzymes and hormones :) ill let you no how i go on :) has anyone heard of a sensitivity test and toxicity test? they might help. with the toxicity test it will work out what enzymes i need. i get my supplements probably on Thursday. they are supplements that contain enzymes for particular organs, made from actual animal enzymes.... sounds totally mad i no! but they are totally great homeopathic supplements :) ill let you no how i get on.I posted a topic about the tests but noone seems to have replied so i assume noone knows what these tests are....?x

1 - 20 of 29 Posts