Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBS is not only a physical pain but also an emotional indignity. At work, someone asks for something, and I get up knowing I have to go slow as I am going to pass wind. Walking down the hall, I have to pretend I am looking at the papers in my hand, or at my watch, so others will pass me. Get out of car, pass wind. Get up from the couch, pass wind. Does anyone else suffer from this?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Welcome NancyYou are far from alone! We have a forum just for this particular symptom. Please use the site navigator at the bottom right hand corner of every page to access all of our forums. I am going to move your thread here to our Gas / Flatulence / Bloating / Incontinence / Fecal Body Odor Forum.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am lucky to work in an office with 5 other men who have worse gas than me, where it is praised by how loud and foul the smell can be. Fortunately for me, work is a safe haven for this!

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol CR, i was going to ask the same thing! Nancy, boy do i know the feeling! and i sometimes wonder what people think. ill suddenly, and inexplicable, get up and walk around, stop whatever im doing, or sit down. anything to keep the gas in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gas. Grrrrr! It can be so frustrating and the worst is when you feel like you are in a social situation in which you cannot pass it. eek! It is so painful. Do you notice whether it gets worse at certain times more than others? Like, after you eat lunch or something? Perhaps you could strategically plan your day (small stroll, or going to get the mail break) at those "high-gas" times to help you out. I am blogging about my daily experiences with IBS and you may find it helpful. IT can be found at http://www.eatandbe.com. Have a great day! Kim

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello to my fellow gassers. To think I felt it was only me. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the pain goes away when you do let go of some gas. I wonder why it happens after you have been sitting for awhile? That seems to be the time I always watch myself and try to hold it in (which feels terrible). I bought Gasx but it upset my stomach. Funny, I am not embarassed to burp and then say "excuse me" but am mortified of passing gas. My 4 year old grandson feels compelled to announce to the entire restaurant, "gramma, did you fart?" which gets everyone laughing (but me) Thanks for the replies. I feel much better.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Nancy you might want to ry other anti gas aids like Phazyme gel tabs... I use them WITH meals so they are colocated with the food. The Gas-X are chewables and they canhave other things in them that might cause you some trouble.. like sorbitol etc.Also have you seen this low flatulence gas prevention diet?:http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htm

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there, yes i have the same problem, it's even worse when u want to get intimate with someone but you know whats going to happen but there goes that, mite go to holland n barrett and see if they have anything to control it, will keep you posted, unless you have them too.best of luck x

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same problem. I get gas a lot and my stomach feels like it is going to explode from the pressure. I take Gas X and it seems to help but I have to take about 6 pills a day. I exercise daily and eat right (most of the time) but I still have gas and bloating. I have always been thin so it shows really bad and I look pregnant. Does anyone know a more natural way or herbal supplement to help? I would rather take something natural if I can find something that helps.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Simethicone (what is in Gas-X and other gas pills) is really pretty safe, and it stays in the GI tract and isn't really getting into your body in any kind of amount. You may need to take several pills a day to make sure you get it through the whole colon (often people take it with every meal. It is one of the few things safe enough you can give it to newborn infants. The Gas-X in your stomach doesn't do anything for gas in the colon, so several doses a day for a couple of days may be needed to get it through the whole GI tract.That being said some of the "all natural" ways can be pretty effective for some people dealing with gas or bloating1. Stop feeding the bacteria so much bacteria food. So limit starchy foods especially wheat products and if you are lactose or fructose intolerant (not everyone is) avoid those or take lactaid enzyme tablets with meals that have lactose (milk, soft cheeses, yogurt).2. Take probiotic bacteria. They do not produce gas when they digest carbs. They stop the digestion process half way through so that can help some people with gas and bloating.3. Digestive Enzymes with PANCREATIN in them can help with the post meal bloating you get (especially fatty meals, why even healthy people feel bloated after having thirds at thanksgiving, it isn't just the amount, it is how the body responds to that). The PANCREATIN is a signal as well as an enzyme and you want the signal part as well. Plant only enzymes do not have animal based signals in them. 4. Fennel. A traditional treatment for gas/bloating in a lot of countries is to eat a few fennel seeds after a meal (may be mixed with other seeds and some cultures just always have a bowl of this around for anyone to take a few after meals) Some people prefer fennel tea and you can get it in capsules. But the fennel seeds from the spice section of the grocery store will work and you can brew those without having to buy it in tea bags.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank you for the advice I will have to check this stuff out. I know you say Gas X is safe but I always worry about taking so many pills. 6 a day/ 2 per meal just seems like a lot to me. But then maybe it just seems like a lot because added with all the other pills I take in a day it really adds up. I hate having to take so many pills to make it through the day. I take 4 pills per meal (2 peppermint leaf pills and 2 Gas X) then I have my pro biotic pill, zoloft to control the stress and I was told I have panic attacks, and my 3 different vitamins. I am sure I forgot to add something in there but you get the point, I TAKE A LOT OF PILLS. Before all this I took one pill a day (birth control) and that was it. Now all I do is pop pills. Again thank you for the advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
i work with children so nothing gets by them! i do have some planned responses though if it does happen in public or at work. sometimes i just dont say anything but it is just too noticeable i whip out my statitic about how all humans pass gas over 15 times a day whether they want to admit it or not. so w;hen i do have a "gassy moment" i can say, "it was bound to happen. sorry" sometimes i try to explain by condition but they see i am overwieght and prob wonder how someone with digestive prob could weigh 258lbs! but it is possible!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the advice I will have to check this stuff out. I know you say Gas X is safe but I always worry about taking so many pills. 6 a day/ 2 per meal just seems like a lot to me. But then maybe it just seems like a lot because added with all the other pills I take in a day it really adds up. I hate having to take so many pills to make it through the day. I take 4 pills per meal (2 peppermint leaf pills and 2 Gas X) then I have my pro biotic pill, zoloft to control the stress and I was told I have panic attacks, and my 3 different vitamins. I am sure I forgot to add something in there but you get the point, I TAKE A LOT OF PILLS. Before all this I took one pill a day (birth control) and that was it. Now all I do is pop pills. Again thank you for the advice
Did you find that taking a fennel pill after dinner helped? I have been relying on GasX for the last few weeks and actually noticed that my D has gotten worse. Then I find out that whatever's in the GasX can lead to runny stool
I wish I'd known that before trying to control gas ya know?And I hear ya on the pills! I used to only take birth control. Now I have allergy pills, and tons of vitamins, and prescription pills for cramping and D, and an antidepressant and peppermint gels that I take before meals. I don't know why I wanna add another one, but I was just wondering if the fennel would help keep the bloating down since I'm too nervous to try GasX again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry I can't offer much advice to anyone, but I really would love to take some of it! Thanks guysI was wondering about the peppermint pills. I suffer with IBS alternating and peppermint tea always helps me. Do the peppermint pills help? Maybe not with the gas, but are there other benefits?

·
Registered
3 Posts
ITS RUINED MY LIFE , FARTING OCCASIONALY IS BAD ENOUGH BEING A WOMEN BUT NEEDING TO ALWAYS FART IN PUBLIC IS GROSS . I ONLY GET IT WHEN NERVOUS HENCE ALL PUBLIC PLACES.MY HUSBAND TAKES A LOT OF THE BLAME ON THE WAY HOME WHEN WE AWE ARE FINALLY ALONE IT TICKLES HIM , HAS EVERY FEW MINUTES A LOT OF CARTS ARE ESCAPING HE THINKS IT LIKE W MYSTERY WERE IT ALL COMES FROM TIME. WHEN WE ARE MOST OF THE TIMEBLAME

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are definitely not alone!! I've been suffering with this symptom for 4 and a half years! When it first started to happen I thought it was because I just had my first daughter. I was perfectly fine until I gave birth to her. I remember my husband going to work and me just having to pass gas all day long. I even remember reminding myself to not get into a habit of always letting it out because I may forget he's home and end up doing it in front of him! The gas was constant and no matter what I ate or drank, it was there. I would just wake up and there it is. Our sex life changed so much due to the fact I was so afraid of passing gas during sex. I always told him I couldn't do it and he'd be like "I don't care if it happens. I'm not gonna laugh at you. You can't help it. I just want to be with you." But I still wouldn't do it because I myself wasn't comfortable with it. In 2007 I got pregnant with our second daughter. I actually wonder how that even happened since we hardly had sex lmao but that could be why! In 2008 I had her and I decided to see a gastro doc. Everything else I tried didn't help. Beano helped for like the first 2 days and then it stopped. I'd take the pill and I'd still have gas. Gas X caused MORE gas because of the simethicone (sp). My gastro doc did a colonscopy on me and said "nothing is wrong with you but you do have IBS." Well, DUH. Anyway, he prescribed Librax pills. It calms down the intestines and stops the gas. It's an anti-spasmodic pill. I took them from 2008 until January 2010. They worked. I stopped taking them though because I got pregnant with my son. (Well of course you know they worked because how else did I get pregnant AGAIN...wink wink). Anyway, I haven't been on them and my son is now 4 months. It's been over a year and I desperately need them because the gas is acting up again.
Unfortunately my insurance ran out so I'm in the middle of getting that back on so I can go back to my doc. Anyway, I recommend you talking to your doc about Librax. It'll help, trust me!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts