Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have Ibs-d and am permanentley 24/7 full of gas in the colon, you can feel and hear it moving all the time and it doesnt matter how much I fart there is still loads in there, I have tried windeze, charcoal capsules and digestive enzymes, but they dont work as I assume they only act on gas in the stomach. What can be used to releive gas in the colon.?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are also liquids and solids in the colon that must be moved around and the colon is active all the time to keep things moving.You may be noticing some of that normal activity as well.Wind-eze can break up some of the bubbles in the colon, but you might need to take it for 3-4 days with every meal before you really get enough in all parts of the colon to make much of a differece.You might try a low to no starch diet and avoid the sorbitol containing fruits unless you cook them (apples, pears, peaches, plums, cherries, apricots) for about a week and see if that reduces the gas. It won't change the fact your colon is active all day long moving liquids and solids.Have you tried probiotics, sometimes they can reduce gas levels (fart frequency)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried probiotic, quite a few different ones , they didnt make much difference, I dont eat fruit unless its stewed apple. I know the colon moves things around all the time, but this is painful wind, I also take antispasmodics, but still am full of wind no matter how much I fart and so bloated.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
do you eat starch at all?Bread, rice, oats, pasta, etc.You might cut way back on that, that is the main source of gas for most people. Rice is the best option, but some people can't tolerate that.If you eat chicken and steamed spinach for three meals a day for 3-4 days and still feel all full and stuff, it isn't gas and that should reduce your farting down by a lot as well.If you fart a lot every day even if you eat nothing to make gas from (or even do a 3-4 day fast) then you must be swallowing air and need to work on that. It is rare that someone's gas all comes from swallowed air, but it can happen.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Do you want the tea to stimulate the gut and be laxative in nature or a tea that is calming and soothing, but may not make you go.Usually coffee makes people have a BM, but teas high in caffeine really aren't going to work better than coffee as a high caffeine tea usually still has less caffeine that coffee.If you just want to soothe the gut then peppermint, fennel, chamomile are all things to see how they work. You can get teas with senna in them, but that isn't any different, really, than taking senna in a pill, IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.