Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get alot of gas that hurts. How can I avoid getting it>>>by what I eat? Its really bad on some days. I have started to try and eat better and avoid foods and drinks that could stir up IBS. But I am still learning what to avoid. Also I forgot to say earlier that I have acid reflux too. Thank you for any help.Dianna

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Either feed the bacteria in the colon less, or change the bacteria in the colon.If you fart a lot even if you don't eat for a couple of day you may be one of the few that swallows a lot of air.http://www.endowsec.com/pated/edtgs12.htm is a low flatus diet.Probiotics do not release gas when they digest carbs so may be another option. I'd try to find one that doesn't have a lot of FOS or other "prebiotic" fiber.Pain can be from colon activity rather than gas, so if you reduce the fart frequency substantially and still have a lot of pain it may be from colon activity. In that case antispasmodics (prescription or peppermint oil) or low dose antidepressants may be needed to control the pain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sympathize with your gas pain. It is really bad when you have it and soooo painful! The first 2 bits of advice I definitely recommend if you have it is to 1) wear loose fitting pants (elastic waist baby!) and 2) get moving! Walk around the room, do some sit-ups, whatever you can do to get that gas moving through you! in terms of foods to eat/avoid, this is a process that definitely takes trial and error but is so worth paying attention to. I am documenting my daily diet at www.eatandbe.com so that people with IBS can see how I eat and what works/doesn't work for me. It might give you some nice ideas and inspiration. Good luck! Kim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you for your advice and help here....Lately I been feeling better more often since I been very careful of what I been eating and drinking. I do record what I eat and drink in a notebook everyday.diannamlp

·
Registered
908 Posts
These 2 tips can help reduce gas.Don't drink anything with your meal. Stop 15 minutes before and 1 hour after. this will improve digestion.Eat fruit by itself. Dont eat fruit with a meal. Wait at least 2 hours after a meal to eat fruit. If you eat fruit with a meal it will feremnt in your stomach creating more gas.Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts