Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am concerned about my girlfriend. She gets lots of gas and they are really long and loud. I want to make sure that she's not the only one that goes through this. Does anybody else get farts that last from 20-30 seconds long? Could you each elaborate on how long they usually are, and what your longest farts ever were? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Does not sound unusual.She may want to look at her diet (what she feeds the bacteria in the colon...like how many starches she eats) and perhaps take probiotic bacteria (acidophilus and others) which produce no gas from the carbs like starches.The other thing it could be is from swallowing air. Does she chew gum/suck hard candy all the time/smoke, etc that would cause her to swallow unusal amounts of air?K.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Does not sound unusual.
Really? From what I've seen on the BB in all these years, there may be a few dozen people so afflicted out of perhaps a few thousand posters. So this kind of thing sounds quite rare
quote:Didn't you already post this?
And I've already counted this one.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When I was really farty before probiotics I tended to fart fairly often in the evening and I dunno I never timed them...but it didn't seem extremely extraordinarily out of my personal experince to me <shrug>. Much probably depends on how the person does with the trying to hold in vs letting it out as quick as possible. Sometimes the farts lasted longer than others. Besides I think the poster is most likely exagerating the length of time (and I wonder if he has a strange obsession with farts or something, and just wants to make other people talk about it
)In any case the advice for dealing with fartiness I gave fits what I believe you think is real
Now I know my fart frequency was on the high end of fartiness, and my IBS severity was not tied to how much I farted. So that may skew what I think is fairly normal. I would fart some 15-20 time between dinner and bed and almost that many times between lying down and falling asleep (nearly every minute or two for quite a few minutes),so maybe I'm one of the one in a thousand that was extremely unusal. In any case, since probiotics I no longer fart myself to sleep
K.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not to be hostile or anything but honestly what a double standard. Men can fart out the notes to Jingle Bells and they laugh like crazy. Let a woman fart and everyone thinks it's gross. For years I held my gas so as not to offend anyone and all I got for that was pain. Now I just let er rip, my husband and kids think it's gross, but so what as Shrek says better out then in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.