Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

GAS transit time explain by SpAsMaN

3K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  SpAsMaN* 
#1 ·
Here we go.Gas move very quickly through the entire bowel compared to stools.I mean you eat gassy food and you will suffer of gas in the sigmoid 2 hours later or so.I can tell you from my own experience.Gas are dumped or somewhat "born" in the cecum ¾hour after a meal and then mess around the colon another hour or more.Depending of the severity of your motility alteration.I just wanted to make it clear once for all.

See less See more
#2 ·
If gas passes through the sigmoid colon approx 2 hours after food, do you know if trapped gas is the same, or is it caused by something eaten hours before. Would be grateful to know this as I suffer daily from trapped gas and cannot find out the food that is the cause of it, or a remedy to help it. Thanks. Mary.

#3 ·
I doubt any food would cause gas to become trapped.Which foods can be fermented in the colon when the food gets there are really well known. Resistant starch, some fibers, sorbitol, raffinose, and for people with problems with these specific carbs lactose and fructoes. Basically any carbohydrate that you do not digest and absorb in the small intestine.I'm assuming the sensations in the sigmoid ~2 hours after meals are part of how your body happens to do the post eating increase in colonic movement. Anything moving to the sigmoid in that time frame is from previous meals, not what you just ate. What you just ate is still too far away. It may not even be what got moved to the sigmoid colon, it might just be how it is responding to the post eating reflexes.Pain and bloating can be independant of gas. If the symptoms go away when you finally do fart then it really may be gas, but it can feel like what must be gas even when gas isn't what is causing the sensation. So some people with "trapped gas" may not be having gas, but having inappropriate pain, bloating, or distension for any number of reasons. That is why sometimes trying to have less gas doesn't change the symptoms. Gas may be part of the problem in some people, but it is not the only reason people have pain, bloating, distension, etc.I'm not sure what Spas is saying is in the cecum 45 minutes after you eat. The food you just ate isn't that far along, and the previous meal may be in any number of places. Now 45 minutes is in the range of normal colon activity increases, but that doesn't start or stop the gas production, it just determines when it moves. Gas does move through the GI tract faster than solids or liquids. I really didn't think that was some big controversy that needed to be clarified *shrug*.K.

#4 ·
If you drink Barium and you have normal motility,it reach the cecum in 45minutes.Then the gas has already start their activity.

#5 ·
I needed this clarified as I am trying to figure out which food could be the cause of the trapped gas, but as you said more or less that gas can be there and its not necessary to do with consumption of any particular food, but for a number of reasons. Because I have this problem daily I would love to know what is the remedy for this if anyone can help, as its driving me crazy, and lasts for hours and hours. Tried fennel tea, peppermint tea, colofac tablets, iuposcan tablets, fibogel, and various herbs without success. Thanks. Mary.

#6 ·
I don't think the foods that cause gas you fart out are any differen than the ones that get trapped.I mean it isn't like the bacteria make two different kinds of gasses, one that resists moving and one that moves fine.The foods that contribute to gassiness are the same no matter what the gas does.The gassy foods are things with resistant starch like wheat.Raffinose, beans and legumes, as well as cabbage and broccoliSorbitol, found in pears and apples as well as sugar free candiesIn people who can't digest lactose you are talking milk and soft cheeses.In people who can't digest fructose you are adding some more fruits and things with high fructose corn syrup.No matter what the gas does it all comes from the same foods.K.

#7 ·
Chronic trapped gas is related to a form of constipation.

#8 ·
Thanks to both of you for information regarding trapped gas. Do you know what could stop it from happening daily. It always seems to happen after a bowel movement where I experience incomplete evacuation every day and it is a pocket of trapped gas (I think that is the cause of the feeling of incomplete evacuation) but it takes hours and hours before I can get relief. Everyday is the same I go to the bathroom but can only do so much and feel there is more to come. (sometimes there is more to come and mostly its tapped gas but feels like a bowel movement still there and its frustrating. Does this sound like ibs, as that is the diagnosis I got after having all the usual test, colonoscopy, barium enema etc. were all clear. I tried abstaining from milk and only have low fat milk, abstained from dairy and ate gluten free, abstained from fried foods, and sweet stuff but still this problem is happening daily for 3 years now. Does ibs cause flare ups or is it a daily problem like I have? Thanks for help and support. Regards. Mary

#9 ·
IBS can be constant and every single day. Some people have milder cases that tend to come and go. Incomplete evacuation is commonly reported in IBS and isn't really a symptom that indicates something else going on.It may be more of a sensation problem than a gas problem and if it is then you need something that works on the nerves or colon like an antispasmodic, antidepressant or IBS-specific drug that works on the neurotransmitters like zelnorm. You could try peppermint tea or Altoids (in the candy/gum aisle of most stores)Diet alone may not be a fix for you.K.

#10 ·
The pain of the bloating forced me to the GI MD (this was when my Zelnorm was still working and the constipation, at least then, wasn't the main issue). I either would release gas literally 75-100X or more, after eating (over about 2 hours)...amazing but true. Drove my wife crazy as she had to use a hanky to cover her nose. But then, all of a sudden, I couldn't get the get out! That was much worse, because now I had this full belly of gas...and no relief. I tried some Yoga position and was able to get some gas out here and there, but it was never enough. In sum, I was put on RIFAXIMIN (1200mgs daily) for what they call SIBO (small intenstinal bacterial overgrowth). And you know what...by the 3-5th day, I began to see relief. It was really getting better. Unfortunately, the experiment w/Rifaximin got somewhat confounded, as suddenly my Zelnorm stopped working after 2 1/2 months and couldn't go NO Matter What, even though I severely felt as though I had to go. I was forced to use Fleet Enemas, which BLEW UP my belly, as well as all the stress and straing, which can kick in inflammation response and bring water to the stomach area. Anyway, I'm now on Amitiza 8 days...and things are normalizing (Thank Heaven) w/the Constipation...and I still notice about a 50%-70% reduction in bloating. Hard to explain but, while I"m eating and afterwards, just releasing a little bit of gas (normal gas release)...and basically, I find I'm no longer rubbing my belly, and can focus on other things around me.So...I don't know, what works for one person may not work for another. The Rifaximin doesn't help for all the other symptoms of IBS/C...all the Studies have shown the main effect is on the bloating/distension pain scale. Take good care and I pray for you, that things will work out for the best. It's a day-to-day type Syndrome, this IBS/C...and so, things change sometimes for the worst, and occassionally, sometimes (albeit rare) for the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jay

#11 ·
Thanks for the help and support. I live in UK and am not sure if zelnorm is available here yet or rifaximin. Are they quite successful in treating the trapped gas, as I would buy them once they are available here. There is a herbal drug here called L229 but its not licensed yet, and I was thinking of trying it once it becomes licensed Anyone ever heard of it or tried it for ibs? It is supposed to coat the smooth muscle of the intestine. I have tried colofac, ibuposcan (they are anti-spasmodics, but I only tried them for a short time, so maybe they did not have time to work properly. I also tried nortrpytline but only very short term as it made me drowsy and I could not function properly at my job. I tend to get very impatient if things do not work after a few days, so perhaps I should persevere for a while with anti- spasmodic drugs to give them a chance. It is great that you beat ibs, and I wish I could. I tried mike's hynotherapy 100 programme last year, and am now on my second go at it but I still can't conquer this trapped gas, that is why I wanted so much information about it.Thanks for help and support and prayers. Its good to know that we do not suffer alone. Kind regards. Mary

#13 ·
I do not think they are specific for trapped gas. Zelnorm maybe more helpful that any antibiotic because it makes the colon move things along better. (have you had a standing X-ray when you have symptoms to see if there really are pockets of trapped gas or not?)Antibiotics might reduce gas load for some people some of the time for at least a little while, but if you don't have SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and as far as I know trapped gas isn't the major symptom of that) it probably wouldn't do any good.A good probiotic will reduce the amount of gas (won't make it move better) and is probably a safer approach than just randomly thowing antibiotics at it. (especially when they only help 1 in 3 people who take them in a clinical trial and then not for all symptoms anyway).K.

#14 ·
Thanks for the replies so promptly. No I did not have an x-ray. I had barium enema and colonoscopy and sigmoidscope 2 years ago also white cell scan and blood tests. All clear. My biopsies at colonoscopy showed microscopic inflammation but they said it was not indicative of anything and said it was ibs I had. I will try the colperhim again, and colofac also to see if it helps as I suppose I need to keep trying. I read your story about beating ibs. Do you think cognitive behaviour therapy was helpful to you and perhaps helped towards your recovery. How does that work? is it like hypnotherapy? Thanks for your encouragement and kind support. God bless. Mary

#16 ·
quote:Originally posted by Mary2001:
quote:Originally posted by Hampshirebear:Mary, I find Colpermin quite good for gas at times. I find Colofac IBS tablets ok sometimes as well, but nothing really works every time.
Thanks for your message. I am not too sure how to reply or how this comes out when you are not the last message on the board, so I just want to say thanks for reply. Mary
I am not very good at computing as yet that is what I mean.

#17 ·
peepsGlad you still here/sad you're not cured yet.
OK,regarding extrem trapped gas.I can tell you that i understand WHY i'm the worst here with trapped gas.My G.I. doctor told me i have a double loop in the sigmoid and that others people only have one loop.So i think that's redundant sigmoid.
2 loop=More elbow for gas to get trapped
--->Click here to see my Barium enema x-rays:http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...261/m/527106032

#18 ·
Yes I am still here, but very glad of everyone's replies and support, and ideas to try. Sorry to hear you have 2 loops in the colon. Did ibs cause that to happen to you and what treatment is available for that? Is this a recent result you got or have you had that diagnosis for some time? I wish I could help you, but I have no answers as I am lost myself, so I will say a little prayer for you instead. Regards. Mary

#19 ·
It is a new "diagnosis" with little value in term of curing IBS.I mean they don't want to reduce one loop surgerically.

#20 ·
It is hard to know if that is why you have problems.After all a lot of people have zero symptoms that have a redundant colon. Now it might make things worse once problems develop, however, there are too many people running around with that anatomical issue and no symptoms to be sure it is the cause of anything.K.

#21 ·
Hi.Yeah look like another exacerbation factor.

#23 ·
Hi Mary
Thanks you so much for the idea.However i have almost reject this possibility.I have been to an urologist and the best inguinal hernia doctor in USA and BUMMER no inguinal hernia.BUT yes my bowel alteration is in the pubic area.It still can be a sort of entrappment!Who knows?The fact that i have pubic pain is pointing to inguinal hernia but so far they can't find any even if i cough or they put finger in my scotum.
Maybe the sigmoid redundant can explain the pubic entrapment.

#24 ·
You know i have this IBS in the blader/prostate area.I think i have overstrech the bladder sensitizing the pelvic area and shortly after that i got IBS from Nsaids.I just take another appointment with this G.I. doctor to discuss more about bladder insult resulting in bowel irritation.Perhaps i tear some of the sigmoid attachment by overstretching the bladder.I remember that i felt a *tear* in the appendice area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.