Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the sake of my husband, I have finally had to move to a different bedroom at night. My gas is constant and loud and not only keeps me awake but my hubby as well - with the noise and smell - its terrible. I get a bit embarrassed by the noise so I stuff cooton wool up my butt to help muffle the sound but its very bad. I must be farting every 10 minutes or more all day and night. Boy what a life.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There is no easy way to elminate odor. However, it appears the flatulence filter is helpful for this in some people. See www.flatulence-filter.com.Noise is apparently the result of anatomy. I'm not sure what you can do about other than what you already tried.
quote:I must be farting every 10 minutes
You need to keep detailed records to know if this is true. Then you can abstain from eating for a few days and see if that makes a difference. It probably won't affect the odor much as that is only tiny portion of the overall gas and is probably derived from fermentation of intestinal secretions by sulfur-reducing bacteria. If the volume decreases it would suggest the gas is largely from the bacteria.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There is no easy way to elminate odor. However, it appears the flatulence filter is helpful for this in some people. See www.flatulence-filter.com.Noise is apparently the result of anatomy. I'm not sure what you can do about other than what you already tried.
quote:I must be farting every 10 minutes
You need to keep detailed records to know if this is true. Then you can abstain from eating for a few days and see if that makes a difference. It probably won't affect the odor much as that is only tiny portion of the overall gas and is probably derived from fermentation of intestinal secretions by sulfur-reducing bacteria. If the volume decreases it would suggest the gas is largely from the bacteria.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would try antibiotics. I understand the fear of taking them but how can you live like this? I would talk to your doc about a 10 day course of neomycin or flagyl. If it works for 4 months, then your talking about 3 courses a year. My kids take 3 courses a year with all the ear and sinus infections they get. I personally don't think it is that big a deal.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would try antibiotics. I understand the fear of taking them but how can you live like this? I would talk to your doc about a 10 day course of neomycin or flagyl. If it works for 4 months, then your talking about 3 courses a year. My kids take 3 courses a year with all the ear and sinus infections they get. I personally don't think it is that big a deal.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I would try antibiotics.
I would urge you to not do this. It's unlikely that it would help with the odor. The filter should be the first thing since it can't possibly harm you and could even help. Then I would try probiotics, then I would Miralax to flush the gut of bacteria.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I would try antibiotics.
I would urge you to not do this. It's unlikely that it would help with the odor. The filter should be the first thing since it can't possibly harm you and could even help. Then I would try probiotics, then I would Miralax to flush the gut of bacteria.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.