Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if gas pains or spasms or both feel like you are out walking and you want to double up because someone is tightly twisting your intestines near the small/large junction which is near appendix. This pain then shoots down to foot from nerve compressed. Can gas plus spasms stop you in your tracks?
This pain sent me twice to ER in past 2 years. Appendix ruled out, GI tests show nothing,ER MD said "stacked stool" visible on x-ray. ER MD on visit #2 said colon was full of stool and in spasm. GI MD says "IBS" "drink water" and "keep the stool soft." Gave me RX for Enulose (2 tablespoons) when needed(about 2x weekly). I take two stool softners daily.These episodes are crippling and can be once daily or every other day. They do not relate to any food triggers. All episodes began after abdominal GYN (hysterectomy)surgery four years ago. Have since had laparotomy to rule out adhesions. Had gall bladder with stones removed two years ago. Any input from others with similiar pain would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Boy your life sounds alot like mine, except the ER docs gave me ADvil and sent me home, I was not impressed! They never checked me out x-rayed me or nothing! So it got to the point where I refused to go to the ER cause they never did anything for me! I found with me the only time that I really doubled over in pain was when my stool was backed up...and had major gas that I couldn't expel. My Doc suggested getting a stomach massage, and since my sister is a massage therepist, she gave me one, and it actually helped me feel so much better! It got things moving a bit, and relieved alotof the gas and bloating. I was put on Citro Mag to clear out my system, it was so backed up that you could see my intestines through my skin! So I took that, which was HORRIBLE!!!! Then after that I was fine! Took lots of fiber and OJ.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have you guys tried taking enteric coated peppermint? I find it really help me releave trapped gas - which cause me sharp pains.P.S. So many Canadians here today!. Mickey, I'm in BC too (Vanocuver).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also have had that sharp pain near my appendix and then terrible spasms and gas pains. What has worked for me has been Aleve - in Canada by prescription only -- but you could take Advil or any other NSAID, and Bentyl, here in Canada called Bentylol. The anti-inflammatory helps calms things down and the anti-spasmotic relaxes the colon enough so that you can pass the gas.Cherie in Montreal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I lived off Advil for so long before I got diagnosed with IBS, that it doesn't work for me anymore. Where do you get that peppermint stuff? I'm interested in trying anything right now! Preferrably natural stuff, cause I ca't stand the side effects of RX's. Ik, I'm on the other side....close to Golden and Radium Hot Springs area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.