Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
about the embarrasing situation on long flight--definatly been there.don't dwell on it too much though.chances are it won't be so bad next time. i find taking a mild tranqulizer helps.i take xanax when i know i might get particularly stressed.i have to say i've never been couped up in a plane for 19 consecutive hours, though i have travelled for days at a time.my heart really goes out to you.i usually force myself to keep calm, but given that situation, i might've totally lost it.i know i would've had a hard time not drowning my worries in drink for instance,lol.i don't have the gas too bad ALL the time, but invariable it seems to make an appearance at the very worst possible times!!!! i've felt so disgusted with myself it made me sick. i just want you to know you are not alone(christ, poor airline passengers would be done for if there were more than one of us aboard!!!). --take care of yourself nadeshda

I'm kind of speechless. I don't have this problem, but it makes me feel sad and angry to hear about it. The world can be such a cruel place at times. I hope you're all able to find some help and comfort.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
hey folks , i've tried activated charcoal tablets for gas which helped me (almost completeley cured from G problems) and there fairly cheap. you can get them at health food stores. make sure you get activated charcoal and not some charcoal tablets at a drug store. also if your on medication you have to be careful it doesnt absorbe the meds because that how it works it absorbes everything in its path like air (i guess, form what i read)hope this helps some folks with G problems.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Bumping this topic to the top.If any of you are still here, I'm new and I could have written the first post. Sorry someone else has this too, Have you guys found any relief yet? Trible

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I used to have a terrible gas problem but was able to almost completely cure it. Now I'm pretty close to normal. What I discovered was that I absolutel had to identify and eliminate my trigger foods. The worst was soy. Any food that had soy in it was giving me copious amounts of gas, and also, indigestion. Soy is in so many foods! You have to read labels because I had no idea I was even getting soy. There are many other foods I have to avoid or I'll get pretty bad gas. Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, eggplant, cucummbers, anything spicey, most any restaurant food, orange juice, anything acidy like OJ, broccoli (in large portions) califlour, beans of all varieties.That may seem like a lot of stuff I have to avoid but there are still many things I can eat. I have found that Beano can help if you find yourself having to go out to dinner, or to a family get together. I take three beano pills at the beginning of the meal.Also, acidophilous or better, bifodopholous, is good for decreasing gas and also taking the smell away. When I avoid the foods that bother me, I have almost no gas, when I eat the foods that bother me, I'll have gas all night long and won't be able to get a wink of sleep. So, I rarely ever eat my trigger foods! Lisa

I'm with SharonW regarding airplane flights. They are always a horrific experience for me. I get severe motion sickness and anxiety and IBS attacks. I often thought the pressure made my gas/IBS worse but I'm glad to hear it from someone else. I spend a fair amount of time in the washroom deciding if I need to sit on the toilet or vomit into it. This is after taking a couple prescription motion sickness pills. My goal when I fly is to sleep through the whole horrible ordeal. I can usually survive a couple of hours but long distance flights are the pits.I also agree with Lisa P about cutting out my gassy foods. I take beano when I am eating a gassy food and Gas-X before and after and I'm usually ok. Any of those gas products need to be taken in a timely fashion. Several hours after the gassy food is eaten is too late.I've been taking the Probiotics for the last several weeks and I really think that is helping me too.Its so nice to know I'm not the only one. If I could just get rid of my gas problems, my IBS would be almost non-existent.P.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
When feel uncomfortable at the meetings and social gatherings, I feel like there is this presure building up inside of me and then I start feeling that I am going to pass gas. So I guess negative emotions trigger gas.How do you deal with it? I tried concentrating on someting else while at the meeting, or leaving room when I need to but every time I need to go to a meeting I am just so afraid that I start having cramps and pain sort of like a sharp knife. How do you convince yourself not to worry?Is there a book or tapes or something that will make me worry free?

Discussion starter · #49 ·
I am 26 yrs old male and suffering from gas problem for the last three years. I daily take plain bagels and soy milk apart from other non-gassy producing foods and to some extent i am feeling better now. Try to figure out foods which triggers gas production for you. Forget about people who make fun of this problem and try to enjoy your life happily. Good luck.

Hi! I also suffer from this problem. it has been so bad I question whether I want to live like this.I have tried EVERYTHING suggested on this board except for the charcoal filter pad.The past two weeks things have changed for the better. I have been taking 2 flax seed oil capsules at night and Culturelle in the morning. I have hardly any gas and the smell is not quite as bad. I am not sure what has helped. I think it might be the Culturelle, but I am afraid to change the flax seed oil pills.Try Culturelle.

i as well have the same problem as most of you. the stink. i'm trying to alter my diet as we speak. i went to a regular physician, and he couldn't help. he never heard of it. hopefully my change in diet can help. i agree with the comment that the sphincter is the problem. it's not strong enough. it started years ago after i was straining a lot, and since then, i feel that the muscle isn't as strong as it should be. i feel the incomplete evacuation. it sucks, but i'm glad that i can come to this site and get the support from new found friends brought together by a common problem. thank you, and i hope together we can beat this. keep up the advice, if anybody else has any. thanks.

a few more things. most of you are female. i'm not. also, did everybody get this around the mid teenage years? that is when mine started. and is chlorofresh and activated charcoal safe to take, even longterm? thanks for any help.

Mine started when I was 19. Just came on all at once. Lots of gas and lots of dirty looks from people.As for charcoal and chlorophyll. Neither did me any difference, not saying it couldn't help you. Charcoal can neutralize some of your other medication and vitamins etc.Chlorophyll bothered one lady after taking it awhile she could smell and taste it all the time so felt that it was unwise to take more.You may read about a product called ProM made from mushrooms. Someone on the board said it really helped them. several of us tried it and really didn't see a difference.It is sometimes hard to tell if these things help as I can't detect any smell but others sure let me know...We need to Pray for an answer.------------------Prayer doesn't change God , it changes the one who prays..C type, with G

You are not alone. I too suffer from gas and C. I am 43 and have had this problem since I was 12. It makes life tough. There are alot of places that I can't go to because of the gas. Like Church. Its horrible to have this every 5 minutes and feel so embarrased. If I hold it in, it must backfire and make a loud noise inside myself. I just hope others don't hear it. They probably do though. I have been to the doctor about this and don't have any answers. The only things in my life that have gave me some relief were having morning sickness when I was pregnant and in the 1980's there was a drug called Combid. That stopped the gas. However they took the drug off the market. Thats the way is usually works. When you find something that helps they take it off the market. So I just want you to know that you are not alone.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
xavierI am the original poster about the Pro-M. From feedback from others I may be the only one it is helping, but I have been taking one to two capsules a day of it and I have now added a product I found at GNC called Odor-less. It is a combination of chlorophll and the champignon mushroom.Before taking the Pro-M I was passing gas constantly and it smelled form just smelly to noxious. This supplement greatly reduced the number of times I was passing gas as well as controlling the smell a great deal.That is not to say that I never have smelly gas anymore, but I don't have a constant worry about it everytime someone came into my cube at work or everytime I sat in a room with company.Here is a link to the company that I got it from: http://www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monographs/proM.html I dont know anything about the Zelmac.I also take Probiotic. I think it further reduces the amount of gas my guts have to deal with. I just started taking some Digestive Enzymes. I feel like while we have no cure for IBS there must be a physical/chemical cause for the smelly gas and that should be able to be treated, even though I haven't found a Physician yet that seems to want to explore the problem.Let us know if you come up with any solutions. Good Luck!

41 - 60 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.