Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what are the side effects (except for GERD) of having an abnormally high acid content in your stomach(eg weight loss??)???The problem is that Nexiam gives me some side-effects so I cant go eternally on it and the other anti-acid medications dont really agree with my body
I dont have GERD anymore, but I feel like I am having acid indigestion after every meal since I went off the Nexiam
Thanks in advance

· Registered
10,337 Posts
GERD does not mean you have abnormally high amount of stomach acid.GERD has to do with (the normal) stomach acid coming contact with the esophagus and the esophagus' inability to clear the acid and get it back to the stomach.Some of the drugs used to treat this problem work indirectly by turning off stomach acid altogether.There may be other drugs you can take such as baclofen.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Flux
I have an abnormallyhigh stomach acid level, this was diagnoseg by my doctor when they did the endoscopy. the other day I went off the Nexiam and I started having acid indigestion problems again (not GERD) even my IBS started acting up and my stool was burning like fire when I passed it
Could this be inflammation caused by stomach acid or what??

· Registered
10,337 Posts
OK, but I am not sure the high acid level is relevant to the GERD.Have you had your gastrin level ever checked?
quote:started having acid indigestion problems again (not GERD
How is that not GERD? Is GERD always heartburn and actual reflux that you can feel up into the throat?It may be that you have functional dyspepsia in addition to the GERD. I'm not sure if an high level of acid is related to this, but it is probably not unreasonable for there to be some connection and that's why the Nexium helps. I don't know about stool burning. It doesn't sound directly related to your stomach acid, though. Sitz bath may help with it.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Flux. I am going to see my GI this week and see what he says. I have a D attack currently and I have been unwell for the past few days.In have never had a gastrin level test, what is that??When my GI did the endoscopy he told me tyhat I have an abnormally high acid level in my stomach, that my stomach is producing toio much acid and thats why he gave me the Nexiam. I had GERD before (Refluxin my throat) as well as constant burping/indigestion. now I only get the indigestion and burping without the reflux, but every time that I have this feeling of indigestionafter a meal my IBS starts acting up

· Registered
10,337 Posts
quote:In have never had a gastrin level test, what is that??
Gastrin is partially responsible for regulating stomach acid. A problem with your gastrin level (e.g., Zollinger-Ellison syndrome) could be causing you to have too much stomach acid, so it makes sense to check that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.