Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a gastric emptying test? I had one last week and I don't know when I'll be getting my results. My GI went out on maternity leave and won't be back until September. I know the test is supposed to last 4 - 5 hours. At two hours they told me I was free to leave, that I didn't need to be there any longer. They said the stomach was already empty after the first hour. I'm guessing this means I have it but don't know for sure and am not sure what to do next.Anyone had experience with this? Can you give me some ideas what to expect?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well usually the abnormal result is when it isn't empty at that 4 hour mark. They are usually looking for stays in way too long.http://www.uic.edu/com/uhrd/nucmed/gaempty.htmSays 50-90 minutes for a solid meal is normal, so sounds like you are OK.Often the "time the test takes" is the maximum time it takes if things are abnormally slow. If they tell you it is a 90 minute test and you arranged your day for that, and then it goes for 4 or more hours, well some people will leave before it is over because they don't have the time scheduled. Most people aren't upset if they get to leave earlier than the maximum amount of time and can stay for the whole time they need for the test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've actually been diagnosed with Rapid Gastric Emptying. My test results show how much of the meal has been emptied by the stomach at 15 minute intervals. Also at the bottom of my test results, it states the typical results. I also had been told that I would be there for a few hours, but I was done in less then 90 minutes. As for me, my stomach was 93% emptied at 1 hr and 15 mins, and that was enough to diagnose Rapid Gastric Emptying. According to what is listed as a typical result on my printout, the stomach should only be 42% emptied at the 1 hr and 15 min mark. The last typical result shows that the stomach should be 72% emptied at the 2 hr and 30 min mark.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Karunch: That's what I was thinking. They told me I was pretty much empty after the first hour. They had me do the 3 minute follow up at two hours but they were pretty sure it was almost empty at the end of the first hour. Do you know what caused your dumping? I suspect I've got an underlying adrenal insufficiency that may be the culprit. I'm having a cortrosyn test next week to see if that's it. Lord knows I've got all the symptoms of fatigued adrenals. Worst part is I can't take anything until the test next week so I'm losing most of my day to the lethargy that comes with adrenal fatigue. Hate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Karunch: That's what I was thinking. They told me I was pretty much empty after the first hour. They had me do the 3 minute follow up at two hours but they were pretty sure it was almost empty at the end of the first hour. Do you know what caused your dumping? I suspect I've got an underlying adrenal insufficiency that may be the culprit. I'm having a cortrosyn test next week to see if that's it. Lord knows I've got all the symptoms of fatigued adrenals. Worst part is I can't take anything until the test next week so I'm losing most of my day to the lethargy that comes with adrenal fatigue. Hate it.
Sorry, I haven't been on the site in about a week. I actually don't have any idea what is causing my rapid gastric emptying, and the doctor didn't offer up any explanations.... I didn't even think to ask about what could be the underlying problem causing it, which in retrospect seems stupid now.. I had a bunch of different tests around the same time and they found several GI/stomach problems going on, so this was just something else to add to the list.. Anyways, good luck with your test and I hope that you're able to find the cause of your gastric emptying problems!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.