Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I had my 4th endoscope today, and the consultant has found I have Gastritis, and has given me Nexium to take.Has anyone else had this and what have they taken to get rid of it please. Fiona

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Um, Gastritis by definition is inflammation in the stomach. -itis is any sort of irritation/inflammation of something andGast- is stomach.I don't know if they can tell if it is from just by looking at it, but if you've been taking NSAIDs (like from a joint injury) they usually assume that is it, etc. They can take samples or test for H. pylori but most of the things are immediately serious or needing completely different treatments. Even when it is H.p. they usually have to drop the stomach acid so it will heal even if they give you antibiotics to get rid of that bacteria.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've recently got over a bout of gastritis. I wasn't given anything for it because I was already on Kapidex. With the information that came from the biopsies my doctor said it had been there a long time and had started to change the way the lining of my stomach and intestines were made up (?). She told me that most people don't even know they have it until after it has been there for a while so they start having symptoms. I felt pretty bad for a couple weeks but then it healed it's self with help of the kapidex.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HiKathleen - what do you mean by " but most of the things are immediately serious or needing completely different treatments?". So taking Nexium should drop the stomach acid?. They did take samples, so see what they say..I havnt recently been taking NSAID's, Nortriptyline tho, whether those have done something to my stomach.Tiff125. - Glad to hear that you are better. I've had a bad stomach since sept 09. I had gastroentretis at Xmas, which didnt help.., What is Kapidex?. How long did it take you to get better?.. Did you eat a bland diet as well to help with the healing?Fiona

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
NSAID's irritate the stomach and can cause gastritis. It isn't worth going into a panic mode because they took biopsies. That is pretty common and just assume it is run of them mill gastritis.Nexium blocks acid release. Less acid to irritate the already irritated lining gives it a chance to heal up.While they were in there taking samples they would have noticed a severe ulcer or tumor or anything like that. Even with a lot of the serious things they also block the acid to let you heal up better. Don't worry they found inflammation when you have a diagnosis of gastritis. That is what gastritis means. You might want to switch to Tylenol (acetaminophen) while the stomach is healing up so you don't re-irritated it with the NSAIDs (if you can switch, if you are taking them by prescription talk to the doctor before changing meds).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If you need an over the counter pain med I don't know what they call it where you are other than Tylenol (brand name) or Acetomenaphen). Here is a link with some other names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ParacetamolI read you incorrectly it really looked like you were taking NSAIDS (like Motrin or Aleve)If you have side effects you think are from the Nexium call your doctor or pharmacist to see if it means you need to be prescribed a different medication. We can't make that decision for you, and I'm not sure those are Nexium side effects or what they may indicate.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Pain descriptions vary so much even when they do a controlled pain experiment where everyone gets the same exact pain administered.For me it was more a constant gnawing hunger type of pain. It would go away for a few minutes after I ate but would come right back. Feeling like one is starving 24/7 does not do good things for weight control :(I'm sure the doctor got it right when they did the endoscopy. That is the best way to diagnose it.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
This has been pretty interesting to follow. Cigarettes were certainly my first trigger for IBS; but four or five years prior to that I suffered some major, painful, and fortunately short-lived gastric attack while cooking for a remote mining camp. In those days I was enjoying the perfect trifecta of irritants, 1-2 packs of smokes, up to 20 cups of coffee, and whiskey to put myself to sleep. It would be interesting to figure out how the inflammation traveled from my stomach, down to my colon, and then returned--some five to six years later-- to my stomach as GERD.Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.