Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Just home from my follow up consultation with the consultant following my gastroscopy and colonoscopy a couple of weeks ago.All biopsis taken (stomach, 1st part of small intestine and colon) all came back normal and clear.We discussed my symptoms again and he said he saw nothing during the exam and in the biopsy results to suggest anything is going on and that IBS, or irritable bowel disorder as he called it, was what he thinks. I asked how symptoms (pain mainly) are bought about and why they are felt. He ran through some of the different theories and said it could be any of those or a mixture that are causing my symptoms. My main one is pain so he went on to say how the paid is said to be felt, either from nerves being sensative and the expansion and contractions of the bowel etc...He has given me a couple of suggestions of suppliments to try, fibrogel (?) being one of them - I have not reasearched it yet but will do later. He said even though it can be used as a laxitive in my case where I have loose/soft BM's it may help 'bulk' things up a bit and have them move along a little more normally. So I will give this a try.He said I can make a further appointment for about 6 weeks time but that was up to me. But if I did not want to book one there and then I can just call back and book one. I said I will see how I get on over the next few weeks and if I feel I need to see him again I would call back (not sure how long the insurance would keep paying!?!?! Anyone???).So all in all looking like IBS from the basis other things being ruled out. Just hope that things will eventually go back to normal, but knowing what I know now in terms of other thing being ruled out (things that worried me etc), hopefully this will be as good as any medicine if you know what I mean.Unfortinatly there was a bereavement in my family on Monday (my step-grandad), so spent that day at my mums where he and step-grandmother live in a annex, it was not easy as it was the same illness that killed my blood grandad when I was 15, so my mum and blood grandma (who lives round the corner) and I were also reminded of that event plus having my step-dad and step-grandma very upset. It was also my 1st experience of seeing a body which was not nice, but the undertakers could not come until the doctor had been which was not until midday... Very emotional and testing few days this week...Sorry for babbling on a bit, just ended up typing that last bit without even thinking.. hope you are all ok...Regards,Ippo

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Oh Ippo so sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose someone. My condolences.I am glad that nothing sinister was found via your recent diagnostics and I am glad that relieves your mind. Hope that alone will ease your symptoms somewhat or at least allow you to relax a bit more.Keep trying different things or different combinations of things to manage your symptoms. And definitely go easy as this week won't be an easy one.... Get yourself enough rest and try to eat as best you can.All the best

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi BQ,Thank you for condolences.Yea hopefully like you say having an 'all normal' testing will help me feel more calm and deal with it all abit better.Thanks,Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.