Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gastroesophageal Reflux Linked to Nocturnal Asthma --------------------------------------------------------------------------------WESTPORT, Feb 15 (Reuters Health) - Nocturnal bronchoconstriction can be triggered by gastroesophageal reflux (GER) in asthmatics with GER disease, Italian researchers report in the January issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. Dr. Giuseppina Cuttitta of the Istituto di Fisiopatologia Respiratoria del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Palermo, and colleagues note that although there is a high incidence of GER in asthmatics, "the relationship between GER and nocturnal asthma is still controversial." In a sleep laboratory, the researchers continuously monitored nocturnal respiratory resistance and esophageal pH in seven asthmatics with moderate to severe GER disease. Dr. Cuttitta and colleagues documented 29 GER episodes lasting more than 5 minutes and 72 lasting 5 minutes or less. GER episodes were associated with a significant increase in lower respiratory resistance. The increases in lower respiratory resistance were "strongly related" to GER duration and tended "to be maintained for a while after GER episode termination." GER itself, the investigators conclude, "is able to elicit nocturnal bronchoconstriction in asthmatics with moderate to severe GER disease and...bronchoconstriction severity and duration are related to GER duration." Commenting on the findings, Dr. Cuttittia told Reuters Health that in patients with nocturnal asthma in whom symptoms are not controlled by standard therapy, "GER-related symptoms and nocturnal GER occurrence must be investigated." In such cases, she added, "an objective GER evaluation is suggested even in absence of self-reported GER symptoms, because GER occurrence may be asymptomatic." Should GER be documented, appropriate anti-reflux therapy and diet should be instituted, she said. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2000;161:177-181.

G

·
Have printed out that verrr-y interesting little bit of information Charlie. Have a sneaking suspicion it just might tie in to my 'finally got it' little problem. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hi Charlie:Is nocturnal asthma the same thing as sleep apnea? I have GERD and have noticed lately that when I eat I get nauseaous and have difficulty breathing. I get a gurgly feeling when I breathe after eating. I don't see the gastroenterologist until the end of March. I don't know if this is the IBS. I've also just tested positive for Lupus. But will be seeing a rheumatologist for a definite confirmation. Any ideas on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.