Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know generics can vary, but I haven't had any real problems with them before, but, I started taking generic Librax 4 weeks ago, and it was pretty much a miracle drug. This last time, they gave me a different company's generic, and the results haven't been as good. There have been other factors this last week, so I don't know if I can blame the new generic or not, and was wondering if any one here has had any problems with the generics.I would like to try the brand name, and can afford it through mail order, but the last time I ordered from them, they shipped some heat sensitive meds regular mail, in just an envelope with no insulation or cool paks, and now with the temps in the triple digits, not to mention how hot it must get in the mail trucks, I am hesitant to order through the mail, esp in the summer.The ones that worked well were marked EB 132, and the new ones are ASC 186. Thank you!

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
I know generics can vary, but I haven't had any real problems with them before, but, I started taking generic Librax 4 weeks ago, and it was pretty much a miracle drug. This last time, they gave me a different company's generic, and the results haven't been as good. There have been other factors this last week, so I don't know if I can blame the new generic or not, and was wondering if any one here has had any problems with the generics.I would like to try the brand name, and can afford it through mail order, but the last time I ordered from them, they shipped some heat sensitive meds regular mail, in just an envelope with no insulation or cool paks, and now with the temps in the triple digits, not to mention how hot it must get in the mail trucks, I am hesitant to order through the mail, esp in the summer.The ones that worked well were marked EB 132, and the new ones are ASC 186. Thank you!
I am sorry I can't answer your question but I want to ask you about your symptoms because I have heard good reviews about Librax in the past and have thought about trying it. Do you have IBS-D or IBS-C and do you have any other symptoms please? Which country are you in? If your symptoms are similar to mine then I will try Librax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry I can't answer your question but I want to ask you about your symptoms because I have heard good reviews about Librax in the past and have thought about trying it. Do you have IBS-D or IBS-C and do you have any other symptoms please? Which country are you in? If your symptoms are similar to mine then I will try Librax.
I am in the US. I have IBS-C. I would get so sore and tender with pain all through my upper abdomen, I couldn't function. I only had one really bad episode while on it, but that was directly related to some physcial activity I was doing, so I am trying to find other ways of doing things. Lifting and bending esp create problems for me. Right now I am having a bad week, and I don't know whether to blame the new generics or other things.The Librax has also helped with my constipation which is contradictory to what most people experience from what I have read. I started taking magnesium oxide again, which I had limited success with in the past, but not great. But with the Librax, I have a bowel movement every day, which hasn't happened in 26 years. The only side effect I get is a dry cough. The Librax also has anti-anxiety properties, so for me, who tends to get hyper and nervous, that has been great for me too.If you can do it, it's worth a try. I did try Bentyl first, but it made my brain really fuzzy, made me jittery, I couldn't tinkle very well and had the pains that you get from holding it in for so long.I hope you can find something to help, after a year and a half, I finally have hope again that I can manage this and not be in bed half the time. I want to try the name brand, but can only afford it through my insurance's mail order program, but they ship regular mail, and it's so hot now, I am afraid it will compromise the pills. I did write the company about it and am waiting to hear from them. Good luck!

·
470 Posts
I am in the US. I have IBS-C. I would get so sore and tender with pain all through my upper abdomen, I couldn't function. I only had one really bad episode while on it, but that was directly related to some physcial activity I was doing, so I am trying to find other ways of doing things. Lifting and bending esp create problems for me. Right now I am having a bad week, and I don't know whether to blame the new generics or other things.The Librax has also helped with my constipation which is contradictory to what most people experience from what I have read. I started taking magnesium oxide again, which I had limited success with in the past, but not great. But with the Librax, I have a bowel movement every day, which hasn't happened in 26 years. The only side effect I get is a dry cough. The Librax also has anti-anxiety properties, so for me, who tends to get hyper and nervous, that has been great for me too.If you can do it, it's worth a try. I did try Bentyl first, but it made my brain really fuzzy, made me jittery, I couldn't tinkle very well and had the pains that you get from holding it in for so long.I hope you can find something to help, after a year and a half, I finally have hope again that I can manage this and not be in bed half the time. I want to try the name brand, but can only afford it through my insurance's mail order program, but they ship regular mail, and it's so hot now, I am afraid it will compromise the pills. I did write the company about it and am waiting to hear from them. Good luck!
Thanks for your help, very interesting. I hope you are able to get the drug form the company you prefer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help, very interesting. I hope you are able to get the drug form the company you prefer.
I really do think it was the brand of generic I got, because for 20 days I was great on the one brand, on the new generic I had my worst 10 days, and I just switched pharmacies and got yet a different generic, and within 24 hours I am back to being good. So hopefully, I can avoid getting that one brand, but I know pharmacies are always switching, so I may have to go the mail order route and get the brand name. It'll cost more, but not prohibitively so. Good luck to you as well!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I really do think it was the brand of generic I got, because for 20 days I was great on the one brand, on the new generic I had my worst 10 days, and I just switched pharmacies and got yet a different generic, and within 24 hours I am back to being good. So hopefully, I can avoid getting that one brand, but I know pharmacies are always switching, so I may have to go the mail order route and get the brand name. It'll cost more, but not prohibitively so. Good luck to you as well!
Did anyone else here have a problem with it making you really tired?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did anyone else here have a problem with it making you really tired?
I have IBS-D (with chronic, severe pain) and started taking the generic equivalent of Librax a few weeks ago (after trying so many other meds that were unsuccessful) and have had some great results (which was a pleasant surprise!). I do tend to get tired 30 mins to 1 hour after taking it, but after that inital period of being tired, I am usually okay. I feel that the benefits (my life not being miserable because of severe, urgent diarrhea) outweights the relatively little period of fatigue that comes after taking it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It made me tired for the first couple of weeks, but now I find it doesn't so much. If I take it while I am resting, it tends to make me more sleepy, but if I am being active and take it, it doesn't seem to slow me down. But I'd rather feel a little lethargic than not be able to get out of bed.

·
470 Posts
With regard to Librax causing tiredness, someone who takes it very successfully told me that she now takes half a tablet in the morning and the tiredness has been reduced to being no problem at all but the effectiveness is not reduced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.