Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi,Back pain is not a very typical symptom of GERD (although a few with GERD can have back pain -- more related to the elevated position that they sleep in than with the acid reflux itself). Back pain in between the shoulder blades (together with the time and duration of the pain that you described) may be a symptom of gallbladder problems and when you see your dr. you might want to bring this up and see what they think.Hope all goes well and keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hi SianIt is true that sometimes even gas could lead to back pain -- if the pain travels up and down, then that's most probably gas -- I've had this happen to me many times. But gas pain at the back can't be too severe -- if it's really bad, then may worth checking with the dr. And, back pain is *not* a typical symptom of GERD -- my GERD, if uncontrolled, is really bad and I can get severe chest pain and uncontrollable coughing fits and painful throat which makes swallowing anything painful, BUT I don't have any back pain related directly to my GERD (just goes to show how atypical it is for GERD sufferers to have back pain). If it is a pain that has a pattern and always occur at roughly the same location and same time, then that's worth checking up -- usually if pain occurs between the shoulder blades and to the right lower edge of the shoulder blade which occurs or gets aggrevated after eating/drinking and lasts from 30 min. to a few hours, then one needs to have the gallbladder checked out; if pain occurs anywhere upper back esp. after eating greasy food or eating a big meal and lasts from hours to days/weeks, then one needs to have the pancreas checked. There's quite a few organs in that small area and any of these can give similar symptoms -- so it may worth it to get to the bottom of it, to just stay on the safe side, you know...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
LAFF, Sorry it's getting worse. I'd have it checked out, or even seek a second opinion if this dr. doesn't want to order tests for you, just to be on the safe side.Keep us updated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.