Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am having a problem with taking prilosec or tagamet for GERD. I need to take something continuously but prilosec and tagamet make my IBS sooooo much worse that I almost ended up in the hospital the other night. Has anyone else ever had problems taking these medications? I don't know what my gastro doctor is going to want to do. Plus, my IBS is getting so bad I can hardly function. The pain and gas is unbearable, I am starting to wish that a truck would hit my car on the way home from work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes, most definatly, those anti-acid pills DO cause diarrhea to be worse. I've tried them all. The doctors don't take these things into consideration. They figure if they don't mention the possibility of side effects to you you won't get them. But our bodies know! Luckily my acid reflux sort of fixed itself after a week or two on those meds so I don't have to take them now. I jsut watch what I eat VERY carefully and it keeps it under control. I don't know what you'd take to replace them. You know some of the anticholenagerics are used to help ulcers. You could ask about some of them.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Has your doctor mentioned anything about diet and if so are you following it? This seems to be an area that is sadly ignored by GI docs. They just want to keep throwing those pills at you. Your sense of hopelessness sounds alot like me at one point. Please don't give up hope. Go to your local library and find out about GERD and do a search on the net if you haven't already. My brother suffers from this as well. My problem was spasms on the other end, if you know what I mean. I am not positive, as I have not explored this possibility yet, but I have suspicians that looking into food allergies/sensitivities might make a difference so you might want to check out a book about that. Let me know what you find out, i.e... if they mention this problem. Good luck to you RockinRobin, and hang in there. (Love your name, and hope you'll be rockin again soon). ------------------

1 - 3 of 3 Posts