Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many of us ibs sufferers also have GERD. I have suffered with this continually as well as had ulcers several years ago. I've been taking zantac for years. Has anyone else been on this type of medication for long periods? I was concerned about possible long term side effects? Thanks!

G

·
I had GERD and I took TAGAMET and switched to ZANTAC.Aftersome time doctor advises everyone to leave the medication unless you have ulcer.The over suppression of acid creates additional problem in later stages of intestinal absorption of certain nutrients and other essential vitamins causing secondary condition. As long as everything remains normal, it should not be a problem.Please review the literature on acid reducers for prolonged use.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was diagnosed with GERD for two years until the pain was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack. Turns out I didn't have GERD - I had 30+ stones in my Gallbladder. It came out and since have no problems with pain. I did recently have an endoscopy and they found 4 ulcers that were already healing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.