Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!I've had a few concerning ambigious symptoms that I think I may have been able to pinpoint to IBS & GERD, I'm interested to see if people who're diagnosed can relate to what I've been feeling.Anyways, it started with bowel oddities, with extreme difficulty in passing & large lumpy stools being a mix of colours - from dark brown to a faded yellowa day or so later, I was struck by an indescribable "pain" in my abdomen - not pain in a traditional sense, but rather unpleasantness, a tingling, cold & numb sensation right below my chest & bottom of neck that came in waves - the sort of feeling that just can't be ignored and drives you insane. :(ON THE SAME DAY, I suddenly had difficulty swallowing, it felt like everything was getting stuck in my chest, or I'd drink some hot tea - and I'd swear I felt a hot liquid, and I'd swear I "felt" it going down, leaving a trail of heat and ending up right under my ribcage on the right of my chest. (I know, stomach is on the other side!), right after that my stomach would gurgle, growl, moan...all of that stuff, all the while leaving me with pressure & the feeling of air bubbles popping all around my mid-lower abdomen. (With that tingling numbness sensation too)And, as much as it pains me to say this - but I seem to belch more gas/air than the body should be able to store, I didn't know that a minute or more of nearly plain, hard belching was possible. I was possessed! All followed by a bit of regurgitation.
(Alot of the belching felt like it was coming straight out of my lungs)Just to shorten things, here are some other notable symptoms:- Cold liquid will cause intense an intense growing pressure pain right of chest- I idiotically had a spoon of malt vinegar, thinking it might help - as soon as I swallowed it I felt my stomach move in all sorts of ways, it made all sorts of loud sounds and gave me some of the worst stinging pain I've felt through my entire abdomen, it was like a chemical reaction going off in my stomach!
- Belly feels cold when touching it, whereas rest of body is of a normal warmth- Liquids seem to stay in stomach for too long, I can still hear a glass of water slushing around when moving even after 2 hours.I'm certain I've got something wrong with my gastrointestinal system, does it sound like gerd/ibs? maybe something else that's similar?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
http://www.ibsgroup.org/symptoms has the symptoms of GERD and IBS as well as a couple of other things in a chart so you can look at them.IBS is a functional GI disorder of the colon.In addition to GERD you can also have functional GI issues in the stomach and esophagus, so the issues up top could also be functional.It is pretty common to get functional issues in the whole GI tract, but a lot of people just have one or the other.The stool issue sound pretty consistent with IBS. http://www.iffgd.org/site/gi-disorders/adu...al-gi-disorders has the list of all the functional GI issues including up top.I would get to the doctor to get all this checked out. While functional GI issues are common it would be good to get the stuff up top checked to see if it is GERD or functional. GERD can cause complications from the damage it can do to the lining of the esophagus so that may need treatment and shouldn't just be assumed to be functional until it is looked at. I have a bit of damage in the esophagus and right now it doesn't bother me, but difficulty in swallowing is one of the things my damage can cause and so I'm supposed to go in if I have issues as they can do a balloon with the endoscopy and open it back up. http://www.medicinenet.com/schatzki_ring/article.htm is what I have from my GERD.Most of the noises and sloshing and all that sound functional and can be seen in people with functional problems. It can be hard to know if the sloshing is in the stomach itself or in the colon that goes just under it and does slosh stuff back and forth most of the time. We really aren't designed to have a lot of ability to tell which organ in the abdomen is doing things. Just not a lot of nerves in there compared to something like your hand. Anyway, that is part of why all this should be checked out to see what is going on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.