Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is not IBS related. Is anybody getting all kinds of messages from companies selling and advertising things??? Did they get the list from this board or where??? When I logged on today I have at least 7 messages from companies I've never heard of. I really don't need viruses and don't want their mail. What can I do???

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dear Genny, I have been a member of this board since July and I have to say that I have not received any more spam since I joined. Some internet providers provide a spam filter that you can activate and eliminate some of the unwanted emails. I use earthlink as my provider and they have something called "spamlinator". It works pretty well. Every once in a while though an unwanted spam message gets through. Perhaps you could email your provider and ask them what they offer to help you with this problem. Take care.maumie

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dear Genny, I have been a member of this board since July and I have to say that I have not received any more spam since I joined. Some internet providers provide a spam filter that you can activate and eliminate some of the unwanted emails. I use earthlink as my provider and they have something called "spamlinator". It works pretty well. Every once in a while though an unwanted spam message gets through. Perhaps you could email your provider and ask them what they offer to help you with this problem. Take care.maumie

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have received about 9 mails so far. I am interested in knowing who can reply your question because I do not want to bombarded with mails from people I do not know. I know Jeff had a thread on the correct email addresses, but now it is like everybody is replying the whole list.Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have received about 9 mails so far. I am interested in knowing who can reply your question because I do not want to bombarded with mails from people I do not know. I know Jeff had a thread on the correct email addresses, but now it is like everybody is replying the whole list.Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Genny, if you have a "hotmail" or "yahoo" mail account the ads come from companies that buy the e-mail subscribers lists. If you just delete them and don't open them to read you will not get a virus because the message is not on your computer until you read or open it. Every once in a while the member who owns the online herbpharmacy gets a bunch of addresses and tries to get us to order his "Chinese BowelSmoothe" to cure IBS- a bunch of BS! If you are using your own ISP e-mail and "Outlook Express" go to the following post on the "MeetingPlaceBB" and read how Fay says to stop messages from automatically opening on your computer http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic&f=3&t=013283 Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Genny, if you have a "hotmail" or "yahoo" mail account the ads come from companies that buy the e-mail subscribers lists. If you just delete them and don't open them to read you will not get a virus because the message is not on your computer until you read or open it. Every once in a while the member who owns the online herbpharmacy gets a bunch of addresses and tries to get us to order his "Chinese BowelSmoothe" to cure IBS- a bunch of BS! If you are using your own ISP e-mail and "Outlook Express" go to the following post on the "MeetingPlaceBB" and read how Fay says to stop messages from automatically opening on your computer http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic&f=3&t=013283 Norb

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are many many ways they get your email address.Usually once they have it, it gets sold very quickly and then you get spam from all over the place.It is extremely difficult to ensure that no one on the planet will get your email address, I think this site is fairly good about keeping email private, and I don't know if it is an easy system to pull email address out of (Usenet is extremely easy and most web based bulliten boards are more difficult).One thing to check in addition to what spam filtration your ISP provids is to find out if your ISP has an email address you can forward spam email to, then the ISP can either add that to their spam filtration and/or contact the ISP of the spammer and get that ISP to deal with the individual. Many ISP's do NOT allow sending of spam so doing this can help get them needing to get a new ISP faster.If you check the headers (which would mean you open it, but set your email so you do not open attachements as the viruses are in the attachments) you may find a line that tells you where to send complaints. (usually something like abuse###XXX.com).If they get enough complaints they eventually have to do something about the offender.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are many many ways they get your email address.Usually once they have it, it gets sold very quickly and then you get spam from all over the place.It is extremely difficult to ensure that no one on the planet will get your email address, I think this site is fairly good about keeping email private, and I don't know if it is an easy system to pull email address out of (Usenet is extremely easy and most web based bulliten boards are more difficult).One thing to check in addition to what spam filtration your ISP provids is to find out if your ISP has an email address you can forward spam email to, then the ISP can either add that to their spam filtration and/or contact the ISP of the spammer and get that ISP to deal with the individual. Many ISP's do NOT allow sending of spam so doing this can help get them needing to get a new ISP faster.If you check the headers (which would mean you open it, but set your email so you do not open attachements as the viruses are in the attachments) you may find a line that tells you where to send complaints. (usually something like abuse###XXX.com).If they get enough complaints they eventually have to do something about the offender.K.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just since yesterday I've received 20 e-mails from different people apparently originating from 'neopharmacists'-never heard of them. I don't know how to get rid of them or keep them from e-mailing me. When I try to reply to unsubscribe, it comes back to ME saying it is 'undeliverable'. I hate that ####!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just since yesterday I've received 20 e-mails from different people apparently originating from 'neopharmacists'-never heard of them. I don't know how to get rid of them or keep them from e-mailing me. When I try to reply to unsubscribe, it comes back to ME saying it is 'undeliverable'. I hate that ####!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Go to the MeetingPlaceBB and read our thread about the e-mails. There are explanations? and how to set your e-mail filters to keep the problem from affecting you! Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Go to the MeetingPlaceBB and read our thread about the e-mails. There are explanations? and how to set your e-mail filters to keep the problem from affecting you! Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Check the thread over on the Meeting place.Typically to deal with spam there are several approaches.
  • If your ISP has spam filters turn them on
  • If you email program lets you filter your incoming email filter out that address or domain
  • If your ISP does spam filtering and has an address for you to forward stuff to, do so. They usually contact the ISP of the offender to pressure them to stop it (usually spam violates a person's terms of aggreement)
  • If you are technically inclined look at the headers and use web-sites to figure out just where the spam came from and complain to the ISP of the offender yourself
  • DO NOT REPLY TO THE UNSUBSCRIBE unless it is a list you specifially suscribed to. Usually that is just a ploy to get you to admit you got the spam and it verifies that the email address is a working one and they may sell that info to other spammers.
K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Check the thread over on the Meeting place.Typically to deal with spam there are several approaches.
  • If your ISP has spam filters turn them on
  • If you email program lets you filter your incoming email filter out that address or domain
  • If your ISP does spam filtering and has an address for you to forward stuff to, do so. They usually contact the ISP of the offender to pressure them to stop it (usually spam violates a person's terms of aggreement)
  • If you are technically inclined look at the headers and use web-sites to figure out just where the spam came from and complain to the ISP of the offender yourself
  • DO NOT REPLY TO THE UNSUBSCRIBE unless it is a list you specifially suscribed to. Usually that is just a ploy to get you to admit you got the spam and it verifies that the email address is a working one and they may sell that info to other spammers.
K.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Me too, I am getting 10-15 e-mail ads a day that I did not subscribe to. I click the unsubscribe, but they still keep coming!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts