Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Getting Desperate

2K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  sable 
#1 ·
I'm a 27 yr old male who has had IBS-D since I was 19 years old. It is changing my life in a very bad way, as I avoid most social situations because I simply cannot do it. Before I leave the house, I go to the bathroom 4 or 5 times. Sometimes, I turn right around in the driveway and go again. I know that I am somehow subconsciously causing this as I can sit at home all day and be normal, but when I get ready to go somewhere, I am in the bathroom. I can't control my own body. I take Immodium daily, and Dicyclomine. When I travel or am forced to go somewhere, I do not eat. Having an empty stomach seems to help me control the D, but it causes me to feel ill from the Dicyclomine. An example of my life: I went to Thanksgiving at my fiancee's parents house. We then went to dinner at her uncle's house. I made a plate of food for appearance sake, but only nibbled on the food. During the whole weekend, I only drank soda and took Immodium/Dicyclomine. I lost nearly ten pounds in 3 days and when I finally got home and back into my comfort zone, I almost collapsed. It's hard for other people to understand that THIS is what I have to go through to get out into the world and do things. I recently started to wear adult diapers because I had to stand up in a friend's wedding and I just felt like I had no alternative. My sister (age 18) was just diagnosed with IBS. My father seems to have a minor problem, as sometimes fast-food gives him isolated D. No one really understands what life is like for me. My fiancee is used to waiting for me to get out of the bathroom and she is cool about being patient, but she misses out on doing things with me, and that is what upsets me the most. I want to take her places and never once worry about IBS-D. I think I am at the point where I need to find medicine that disrupts the connection from my brain to my butt because Immodium and the rest are helpful but definitely not the answer. The worst situation for me is to be in a subway car or a train with no rest-room. Also being with people who I am not comfortable running to the bathroom or wherever, in front of. It's like feeling trapped, and that is where the anxiety comes in for me. I also have to say anxiety also runs in my family. I feel like I dont have normal anxiety, I.E. I dont feel "nervous". For me, it seems to be just thinking about going somewhere or being in a stressfull situation sends me to the toilet. IBS-D and anxiety exacerbate one another. I look forward to eventually finding a drug that erases that anxiety and lets me do what I want to do.

See less See more
#27 ·
Brooke-Your claustrophobia makes a lot of sense within IBS...People don't understand that IBS is an anxiety problem. We are people whith some type of anxiety and our bodies deal with it by causing D or bowel movements. I am beginning to understand that. Many people have suggested hundreds of solutions or things that may help, but honestly I think the answer for me is mood altering medicines, something that crosses the "blood brain" barrier. If I can curb this anxiety that I am creating, then I feel I have a great chance to kick this problem, or control it much better. Now if I could just get medical insurance...thanks for your support, this bulletin board means a lot.

#29 ·
Steven, I completely understand. My ibs-d has killed my social life for years. Tomorrow I have to go to a baby shower that is 50 minutes away. I wont eat a single thing today or tmo at the shower. I cannot do anything spontaneous. I know I hold back my boyfriend from doing a lot. He had friends over once for a weekend and I didnt go to breakfast with them or to a football game..I know she thought I was a weirdo. but i was too embarrased to explain. i just get vibes from certain people who wouldnt understand..they would just be like ok thats weird..i knwo cause people have done it. i am so envious of normal people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.