Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having digestion issues ever since I started taking PPIs about 7 months ago and, since being proscribed a stronger PPI and reducing my fiber to prevent gas and bloating, have been extremely constipated. I can partially alleviate constipation by eating some foods with fiber taken with lots of beano, but I can't seem to find any foods that give enough fiber without causing disruptive gas and bloating.

whole wheat bread and oatmeal seem to work for me, but I don't eat more than 2 slices or 1/3 cup at a time with beano

black beans seem to work ok for me, but, even with beano, it seems to cause bloating about an hour or so after eating

strawberries are supposed to be good, but it seems to cause burping immediately after eating. ditto with prune juice. (although that's the sorbitol, I guess)

Anyone have experiences with fiber foods or constipation relief that works without causing gas or bloating?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Hello wannabeAthlete -

It might be different for you because you're getting your constipation from prescription meds, but for me and a lot of us on this board? More fiber = more constipation.

I've been taking Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily for the last few years, it works really well for constipation and it's all natural. (It's a bit pricey though.)

If your gas and bloating is really bad, you might want to research alternative remedies for your problem.

Good luck & keep us posted!

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you have SIBO, fiber could actually be making your constipation worse. Same for the whole wheat, beans, and strawberries (the last one is okay in smaller amounts).

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you have SIBO, fiber could actually be making your constipation worse. Same for the whole wheat, beans, and strawberries (the last one is okay in smaller amounts).
Update to this.. I was having issues when I would take Linzess where I would feel water pooling in my bowels but not being able to empty it which made my bloating even worse. My doctor said more fiber could help move it out.. I was very hesitant to add more fiber because it usually constipates me. I started taking Citrucel caplets (no more than 2 per day) and that has seemed to help. I like it a lot more than the powder fiber supplements. Complete evacuation went from about 65% of the time to at least 80% of the time when I take Linzess and Citrucel together.

I also realized oatmeal was a major source of bloating for me.. when I cut it out of my diet, I had much less bloating. In the past, I wasn't sure if it was the oatmeal or a combination of things. So that's another high fiber food that does not work for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
wannabe,consider ground Chia seeds. Like 3 tbl. whole then freshly grounded taken in one cup of water in a blender.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been having digestion issues ever since I started taking PPIs about 7 months ago and, since being proscribed a stronger PPI and reducing my fiber to prevent gas and bloating, have been extremely constipated. I can partially alleviate constipation by eating some foods with fiber taken with lots of beano, but I can't seem to find any foods that give enough fiber without causing disruptive gas and bloating.

whole wheat bread and oatmeal seem to work for me, but I don't eat more than 2 slices or 1/3 cup at a time with beano

black beans seem to work ok for me, but, even with beano, it seems to cause bloating about an hour or so after eating

strawberries are supposed to be good, but it seems to cause burping immediately after eating. ditto with prune juice. (although that's the sorbitol, I guess)

Anyone have experiences with fiber foods or constipation relief that works without causing gas or bloating?
I suggest you try three tablespoons of whole black chia seeds, grind them into a powder and put in a blender with one cup of water and gulp it down quick before it gels. Super easy on the gut in my experience. Psyllium will cause gas for many.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I suggest you try three tablespoons of whole black chia seeds, grind them into a powder and put in a blender with one cup of water and gulp it down quick before it gels. Super easy on the gut in my experience. Psyllium will cause gas for many.
I'm curious about why you grind up the chia seeds before eating them? I have been just stirring the whole ones into low fiber foods to increase the fiber. Are they more effective if they are ground up first?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts