Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much time a person allows in the morning, or before work, for their IBS. I seem to have to drink coffe, at least 3-4 cups, and it usually takes me an hour while I have several bowel movements in the bathroom. I then take a showe, etc. I usually have to go again, for about a few minutes, before I go anywhere. Is this a common problem for people with IBS or is it just me? I usually have to allow at least 2-2.5 hours before I go somewhere to get ready and to go to the bathroom. It is so frustrating!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I usually give myself about 2.5 hours before work in the morning. I cannot eat or drink anything but water. I usually have go to the bathroom about 6 times and take about 4 immodium before I can even leave the house. If its really bad, I take a Levsin. Around noon, I can finally eat. I agree, It is very frustrating! I think most people with IBS have more severe symptoms in the morning, from what I have read. You would think they could come up with some kind of med that would work! I notice when I drink coffee, it stimulates my intestines, so I totally avoid it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You are definately not alone on this. I've heard its something to do with body waking up so the colon is waking up also. I give myself 3 hours now before I leave the house. It used to be 2 hours. Don't know if the meds are taking longer to kick in or if I'm getting more paranoid. Some people have suggested taking immodium at night before you go to sleep. I haven't tried that yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
your bowels are most active wiythin 45minutes of waking, thats why most of us suffer more in the mornings.i dont dirnk coffee in morning as it trigger my ibs-d then. i give myself between 2and3hours to get ready and these days only usually take between 2and4 immodium but they take 2hours min to work! if i dont do this then i will get anixety on the way to uni

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to give up coffee years ago. Otherwise, I would be in the bathroom with severe cramping and diarrhea all morning.Just curious. Does anyone else have a lot of pain with their ibs-D?If I eat a meal without taking Bentyl and immodium, I'm usually spending time in the bathroom with a lot of pain.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am a "c" person. And I too have to give my self lots of time in the morning. So, to give my self every chance to "go". Tomorrow I am catching a plane at 7:45. Which means leaving home at 5:45. Which means up and bunching around by 4:00 - just to be sure. And like knothappy - I used to just have constipation - but when I turned 60 - pain and bloating became real issues too. AH, the golden years.Peggy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most mornings I wake up "needing" to go to the bathroom immediately, thank god I have an ensuite...I leap out of bed and run the few steps needed to reach the bathroom, this mornings wake up call started at 5.45am...and its a Sunday morning...12.35 now and already been no less than 5 times, hopefully will settle this afternoon!!.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate everyone's response. I have been thinking that maybe I would have to give up the coffee. I used to drink Maxwell House Regular Coffee, then I switched to Maxwell House 1/2 and 1/2. I am thinking that I am going to try strictly de-caff tomorrow. I tend to get ibs-c if I don't have some type of stimulation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear ya! I get up at aroung 6:15 in order to leave my house by 8am. If my routine get interrupted (someone sitting in my chair at the table, or someone there who isn't normally or even bad weather making me leave early) I get totally screwed up! I am the same way where I can't go in the morning without some stimulation (usually a warm drink of any kind will do the trick . . . try hot chocolate, cider or tea). If I don't go in the morning, I am too uncomfortable to leave the house and I have in fact, called in sick to work just because I couldn't go in the morning. You are NOT alone and I completely feel your pain. I am the exact same way. Try ANY warm drink but maybe try to avoid coffee as it is SO full of caffine and oils. I say if your routine helps you cope with this problem, stick with it. It at least means you are in fact getting out the door which is still much better than a lot of other people. I consider myself lucky to have found a routine which works for me and allows me to leave the house comfortably. There was a lot of time when I was almost completely housebound and that's NOT fun at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.